Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Hey bud got a 98 saturn just died like it was out of gas checked all

Customer Question

hey bud got a 98 saturn just died like it was out of gas checked all fuses and relays ok got fuel rail pressure and injector power no spark whats next coil pack ? crank senson ? 100k was runnin great then died
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! Thank you for requesting me! As long as the computer is awake with the key on and the coil has power while cranking, chances are this is going to be a bad crankshaft position sensor. Glad I can help! Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
:)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know if. My coil has power how do I test my crank sensor an where is it I thought this was supposed to help me
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello! You can check for power going to the coils u dining a voktrter with the key on and while cranking. I can get you the color wire when I get home to pull a diagram.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You can o the crank sensor out or check the ac voltage while cranking. If memory serves me correct it will ohm out at 500 to 800 ohms and produce 300 to 400 ac milivolts while cranking.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ohm the crank sensor out is what I was trying to type. :)
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Does that make sense? Does that help?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked it all out And oops what about the timing chain. Lol. Ya it broke. Forgot about huh yeA just could have checked my tail pipe first to see if my air pump / engin was pumping. Air gas ect and it's not pulled valve cover off and pulled out the timeing chain. Way to go around your ass to get to your elbow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should have followed my own instincts instead of going all the way around the block to diagnose something as simple as a broken timing chain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should do your job thanks do you get paid for that because I could use some side money lol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my opinion a good tech would've started at the tailpipe to see if my air pump/engine was doing anything instead of crawling under the car check in the crank sensor checking the coil pack fuel pump relay and all that BS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's all for money isn't it how about simple stupid and help people. I should have believed in my own skills first before resorting to some bull shit like this. Hell you don't even know how to use spellcheck and I had to pay for this what a joke
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
You can request a refund on your end.
Have a great night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah right figuring out how to get a refund on the site like this is impossible it will never firkin happen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just answer me this why didn't you tell me to check at my tailpipe first if your so called a Saturn mechanic expert and then work back from there could you save me a lot of time trouble and effort
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I have sent over an offer with my phone number if you would like to chat. I will be more than happy to explain everything to you.
To answer your question, the reason I did not suggest checking the timing chain to begin with is because 9 times out of 10 this is caused by a bad ignition component. Not a broken timing chain.
In addition, if the crankshaft was turning, it still should have spark. If it had spark, then we would have checked to see it ran on starting fluid. If not, then our next step would have been to check the valve timing which would have lead us to the timing chain issue.
Regardless, we would have gotten to the bottom of this problem if you would have stuck with me.
Again, please feel free to call so we can chat.
Customer