Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Saturn Vue XE: I was told I needed a socket for the front left…

I was told I needed...
I was told I needed a socket for the front left turn signal. The back turn signal works but the front flashes really fast and a mechanic said I needed a socket. I looked on line the the lense cover comes with a white socket is this the same thing I need?
3/2/2014
Saturn Mechanic: Mark, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.

Just so we're communicating at the highest level here, I might ask you a few questions so I fully understand what you're talking about. If I should happen to be "offline" when you reply, please give me a chance to respond. I usually will do so with-in 10-12 hrs. (Usually sooner) If I cannot answer your question, or help you to your satisfaction, I will "opt" out and give another tech the opportunity to assist you.

It is fairly common now-a-days for the "socket" to burn as the bulbs seem to get so hot. There are a number of reasons, but for the most part, it just happens. Below is a picture of your headlight assembly and "socket". It has been my experience, (purchasing for myself) most aftermarket lenses will come with the socket. It is amazing the price of the 'aftermarket" body parts compared to a dealership price. And most dealership components do NOT come with the socket.

You will just need to plug it in when you get your new lense. Number 1 in the picture is the socket. Number 2, the bulb, is what gets hot and melt the socket.

Object ID:(NNN) NNN-NNNN title=

So, are you saying a turn signal lense or headlight lense?

Your ORIGINAL post states.........."front left turn signal".

Your turn signal is IN the lense of the headlight assembly. It IS the picture I sent on my previous post. The "socket" that holds your turn signal IS number 1 in the picture.

There is no turn signal lense. The turn signal is in the headlight assembly.

What did you find "on-line" when you stated you found a "lense cover"?

What is in the car is the headlight and it works. At the bottom of the lense is the opening where the turn signal light should be but there is no light found there. It's just an empty hole. Is it possible to buy the bulb and socket that goes into the hole or should I just buy the new headlight unit?

You should be able to buy the "socket and bulb" separately.

In your first post you said the mechanic said you needed a socket. I don't know if you just had a mechanic friend tell you that, or you actually took it somewhere and had it checked out. Either way, any GM dealer will carry the socket. Or, they can order one. Fairly common part. So YES, you can just replace the socket.

Not sure an aftermarket parts store would carry one or not. You could check. Places like NAPA, AutoZone, Pepboys, etc.
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician