Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Saturn Ion: I own a 2007 Saturn Ion which has just developed…

I own a 2007 Saturn...
I own a 2007 Saturn Ion which has just developed power steering problems, I have read info online about a possible recall for this problem..Can you give me some suggestions as to what I can do about this?
11/21/2013
Saturn Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Hello, I am Randall. What type of problem? have you owned since new? how many miles on the vehicle?

power steering light goes on (not all the time) when it is on, difficult to steer vehicle

Thanks. I still need to know if you have owned since new and how many miles on the car.Thanks

I bought it from a Saturn dealer, it was a service "loaner" car, the mileage is 59,037

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX steeeing system in your car is not like older types,. It is an elctric power steering. There is a motor ont he steering column
Saturn had a problem with that motor and yes,, issued a recall for up to 150,000 miles and 10 years where they will do the repair for free
Obviously the system would need to be diagnosed, it is a bit complex but,, most common is the motor
Your next step is to schedule with GM dealer
This is a protion of the recall. very possible this is all that is wrong and GM will repair at no charge for you

Models:
2004-2007 Saturn ION

U.S. Vehicles Only

Supercede:
The mileage limit for this special coverage has been extended to 150,000 miles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 10187, issued July 2010.

Condition

Some customers of 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist, which could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Center will display a "PWR STR" warning message. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech