Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Error-P0989 and P0877 on Saturn Vue

I have a 2008 awd Saturn Vue, it has 3.5 liter engine.The engine light came on and shortly after the performance of the car was marginalized. I had auto zone plug in a reader and two codes came up P0700 and P0752. After this was completed the light went off. The light was off when I brought the car to a cadillac dealer, who ran a history of codes for the Saturn. The following is the history of the most recent codes P0700/TCM request mil P0989 trans fluid pressure switch #5 circuit low voltage P0877/pressure switch 4 circuit low voltage P0752/shift solinoid. Cadillac recommended trans control module inside trans needed repair or replacement. What do you think?

What kind of symptoms are you noticing with the transmission - harsh shifting, delayed shifting, slippage, dropping out of overdrive?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wife was driving the car, she experienced loss of power, sluggishness, unable to exceed 30 mph, can't say about slippage, there was no dropping out of overdrive. The most significant aspect was the lack of acceleration. After some continued driving car seemed to respond better.

Ok, let me check for any service bulletins and check the flow charts for each code, but I believe that the diagnosis is correct.

Ok, for both the P0989 and P0877, the only cause is a faulty control solenoid valve body and transmission control module assembly. For the P0752, which is for a shift solenoid, the possible causes are low fluid level, internal line pressure issue, or faulty control solenoid valve body and transmission control module assembly. Because the other 2 codes are set, indicating a definite bad faulty control solenoid valve body and transmission control module assembly, it is 99.9% sure that this is also the issue causing the P0752.

So, the diagnosis is correct and the faulty control solenoid valve body and transmission control module assembly should be replaced

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this something that needs to be addressed immediately? I'm looking at a costly repair; can this be done by someone other than a dealership? Since the transmission doesn't have a dip stick and I had all the fluids changed is it possible another transmission flush would do the trick?

Ok, it wont cause other damage, so you can hold off, but the symptoms will become more noticable over time.

Yes, this can be done by an independent service shop.

Because this is an internal electronic failure of the control module assembly, another flush would just be a waste of your money and not make any difference
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Considering your experience and knowledge, this is a real problem. I can wait to have it repaired but most likely it will get worse. What needs to be done and can you give a fair estimate of the cost?

Ok, although transmission is not removed, alot has to come off to get to the side pan gasket where the assembly is located. labor time is 3.9 hours, which is about $390, and parts including the module assembly, pan gasket and fluid, will be about $700. so total about $1090.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much time before car is not drivable? Is it safe to drive?

Thank you for your help and consideration

Because there is loss of acceleration and sluggisness, while it would be fine for driving in the city, I would not recommend driving it on the highway as it can pose a safety issue when trying to merge into traffic.

I consider this a real problem that needs to be addressed as soon as economically feasible