Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Saturn Vue: My 2008 Saturn Vues (4cyl) A/C will cut out while

My 2008 Saturn Vue's (4cyl)...
My 2008 Saturn Vue's (4cyl) A/C will cut out while driving and the light on the button will just flash when you press it. It seems as though it happens after a hard accel or wide open throttle. It will sometimes come back on by itself while driving, but usually the car has to be parked for a while then it works after restated. Otherwise the A/C blows cold.
7/24/2013
Pete, Saturn Mechanic
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay.

This light flashing can indicate a few different components that may be at fault causing this.GM has released a bulletin on this and these would need checked into further to see which component is causing this here.If your outside temperature is reading incorrectly possibly less then 40 degrees this will cause this here and may be due to a faulty temp sensor or wiring to the sensor.Here is the bulletin info and does need checked into further to locate and correct this fault:

• A/C - Indicators Flashing (Normal Condition)

Bulletin No.: 07-01-38-003

Date: June 12, 2007

INFORMATION

Subject:
Information for Vehicles with HVAC Control Module A/C And Recirculation Indicators Flashing Models:
2008 Buick Enclave
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Equinox, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon Models
2007-2008 Pontiac Torrent
2008 HUMMER H2
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
2008 Saturn VUE

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that the Air Conditioning (A/C) indicator on the Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control Module flashes then turns off after they press the A/C button. Others may comment that the Recirculation indicator on the HVAC Control Module flashes then turns off after they press the Recirculation button.

This is normal operation for the HVAC Control Module and indicates that the A/C or Recirculation function is not available at this time.

Reasons that the A/C may not be available (calibrated values vary by program) are listed below. Consult the appropriate vehicle Service Information (SI) for detailed HVAC Description and Operation:

Ambient Air Temperature is too low (if equipped with Ambient Air Temperature Sensor)

Vehicle voltage less than 9.5 volts

Refrigerant Pressure too low

Refrigerant Pressure too high

Engine Coolant Temperature too high

Engine is not in RUN

HVAC Control Head is in the OFF position

Reasons Recirculation may not be available: Mode switch in Floor, Defog or Defrost mode.

The reason(s) A/C is currently disabled can be viewed with a Tech 2(R) by navigating to HVAC Data display and viewing the "A/C Permission" parameter.

Recommendation/Instructions

Do not replace the HVAC Control Module for a flashing A/C Indicator or flashing Recirculation Indicator, as this is normal operation.

Thanks Pete

HERE is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).
Pete, Saturn Mechanic

I really dont think its a charge issue. I work at a BMW dealer and have already recharged it twice this year, the 2nd time just yesterday. The system holds 1.27 lbs and we recovered 1.16 lbs, so i really dont think its a low refrigerant level issue. I'm leaning towards either a pressure sensor or something to do w/ the throttle body, due to the problem seems to start after a heavy accel or WOT(wide open throttle). Thats when the A/C shuts off and doesnt come back on. If you then try and press the A/C on button, it just blinks and will not come back on.

Relist: Answer quality.
Hoping to get some more insight into this issue. Not satisfied w/ the answer.
Do you have a scan tool that displays engine and ac data to see if it shows why the ac is cutting off/out?
Pete, Saturn Mechanic