Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

2008 Saturn Vue: to the owners manual, should be equipped..dashboard

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Saturn...
I have a 2008 Saturn Vue which, according to the owner's manual, should be equipped with a compass. I have tried to go through the "calibration" procedures as described in the manual, but there is no sign of a compass anywhere on the dashboard. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get the compass to show up? Thank you . . .
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Saturn
3/3/2012
Saturn Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 5 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. excatly what options do show up as you press the reset stem

Tracer :

I guess I am asking what options show up when you press and release the reset stem over/over

Customer:

Nothing shows up

Customer:

I do get the "Trip A" and "Trip B" mileage showing up, but that's it . . .

Tracer :

so you keep hitting the button and only trip a and b

Customer:

Yes, and when I "Hold the reset button down" (as the manual suggests), nothing else comes up.

Tracer :

do units change when you turn the rest button either way

Tracer :

One of 3 things. Either yours is not equipped with the compass, or its the rearview mirror type which you would see obviously, or the IPC( cluster) is failed. I do know the compass was an option even if listed in the manual. My daughter has the 2007 Vue with no compass. There is a bulletin about the compass where GM re programs the IPC but this is only when a flashing C comes up. the compass was not standard equipment on the VUE so possible, and most likely you do not have it. Outside temp was another option,. You did not mention if you had that or not

Customer:

I tried to turn the reset button, but it seemed pretty "firm", so I did not try to force it

Tracer :

then yours in not setup with the options. You have the basic IPC with trip/miles only

Tracer :

the lack of the stem turning easy each direction pretty much confirms this

Customer:

But the manual does not indicate it as an option. It just talks about it as though itis standard equioment

Tracer :

I just spoke with daughter on phone, her manual says compass but.. she does not have one. I realize this in the same way the manual talk of different radios etc. the fact you knob does not turn, will not scroll through outside temp, compass, C etc, you do not have that option. I am looking at the manual as well and correct, only shows the calibrate. you just would not have a non option and at same time not be able to turn the reset knob

Tracer :

the ONLY other option is a problem with the IPC but only GM dealer can tap into it an reprogram

Tracer :

we cant do that in our shop, dealer scan tool only

Customer:

What is the "IPC?"

Tracer :

instrument panel cluster, its a computer in your vehicle, not just old style dash/cluster

Customer:

OK, I hear you, but that is quite misleading on Saturn's part

Tracer :

its not just Saturn. many manuals depict that way. I do agree though

Customer:

OK, I will hit "Accept" - - Thank you for your time . . .

Tracer :

your welcome. maybe check with local GM and have them plug into dash/IPC, may? be a program glitch but lean a bit from that

Customer:

Have a nice day . . .

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech