Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

2004 Saturn Vue: Check Engine Light..Security System..Diagnostic Test

2004 Saturn Vue Check Engine Light and Security System Lights Are on I took it to Pep Boys For Diagnostic Test and after 2 days they couldnt tell me what the problem is..
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi,I just need a little more info to assist better.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Has anything been checked or replaced to try and correct or locate this fault?

Did both of these faults start at the same time?

Do you know the code numbers that set for these faults or were codes checked?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

went to pep boys for diagnostic test they couldnt figure out what the problem was.

both started at the same time i believe.

i dont know the codes.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
O.k.

With these lights on there has to be fault codes set in almost every case as this is why these lights come on.

The check engine light will come on when a fault is detected with the engine or transmission components or the emissions components on the vehicle,there are a large number of different components that can cause this issue as there are multiple sensors and components that the computer can detect at fault and turn on this light.

The security system light is indicating a fault in the security system components.This could be the ignition cylinder at fault,the ignition switch at fault or possibly an internal fault in the BCM (body control module).

Since both of these started at the same time most likely the faults are related.

If Pep boys wasn't able to check the codes fully or understand the codes that were set then a shop or dealer will have to recheck these codes and diagnose as to what component is at fault.

A GM/Saturn dealer is best for this here as they have the right knowledge and tools for diagnosing and repairing the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!