Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

2003 Saturn ion: My windshield wipers are not working..motors whirrs

Customer Question
My windshield wipers are not...
My windshield wipers are not working on my 2003 Saturn Ion 3. The motors whirrs but they do to move. This past summer we replaced the transmission. Since the motor whirrs I can guess that the fuse is fine. The windshield wiper fluid works, so I assume it is not the switch.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Saturn
2/11/2012
Saturn Mechanic: Ron Z., - Saturn Tech - replied 5 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

If the wiper motor is working, the problem will either be in the wiper arm, or a "pivot ball" on the wiper transmission. Remove the plastic cap at the base of the wiper arm, and try to tighten down the mounting nut. Look for any signs of stripping on the wiper arm and/or mounting stud (you'll see little metal flakes if this is the case). If the wiper arm mounting nut it tight, and there is no signs of stripping, you will next need to re-look at the wiper transmission.
graphic
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Saturn Mechanic: JHoop, Saturn Technician replied 5 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Saturn Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. I am a professional auto technician so please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

New expert here. Can you move the wiper arms up and down with your hand?
As in up and down the windshield or move them out away from the windshield?
Yes they move up and down
OK. Seems you paid the other expert. If i continue to help you will i get an accept?
Yes It was not my intention to accept the other response. I thought I was replying to you.
OK. I will request a refund for that . So you can accept my answer and not be charged twice.

OK, here is what happened. There could only be one of three things wrong. The motor has failed, the transmission has failed again or the attaching nut for the transmission has become loose from the motor. I suspect the nut has come loose or the transmission has again failed. See this illustration where the nut(s) may have come loose.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesistate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -