Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Saturn Ion 3: suspension..front struts..the clunking sound..roads

I have a Saturn Ion 3 2003 and there seems to be a problem with my suspension. I had my front struts replaced but that didn't do it. I was wondering if you would know what's making the clunking sound when going over speed bumps and bumpy roads. It's worse when the car is cold and first running for the day. Thanks for your help.

Do you notice it more in the front or the rear?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's mostly in the front. It feels like my car is going to fall apart and makes a thumping sound. Other mechanics thought it was my struts, so I got those replaced, but it didn't do anything for the thumping.

That's probably because they didn't have the service bulletin that Saturn put out about this noise.This condition is caused by the interface between the front stabilizer shaft, the front
stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) and the front stabilizer shaft mounting clamp. They will need to replace those bushings.

Bulletin Number 04-03-08-003B

If you have any further questions or need more help at all please feel free to reply. If not, Please remember we use an honor system and you must click on accept for me to receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow!! Thanks so much. How much does this usually cost? Also, If I don't get it fixed right away (it's been going on for years), will it hurt other parts of my car? Thank you again for your help!
You are very welcome,

Cost is less than $100-$200 max. It wont hurt anything except your ears :-)

Thanks for asking!

LJ