Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

2005 saturn Ion: a cyl 3 misfire so not shure..module..injectors

i have a 2005 saturn...
i have a 2005 saturn Ion... has the 2.2 engine automatic with air...condensor has leak so air doesnt work right now... and it has a cyl 3 misfire so not shure why...changed the engine spark module on top of the engine same result .... switched injectors around same result... installed new plugs same result...so i am trying to eliminate the misfire to get the car thru Pa imissions...if you allow the car to idle for more than say 3 to 4 minuites it will missfire but then corrects itself by keeping idle above 1200 rpm ...did a compression test and the 3 cyl is slightly lower than the rest but holds over 150 psi.... is there an other electrical control that possibly sends a signal to the 3 injector to dump fuel prematurely to the cyl eventually creating the misfire or do you have other sujestions ... i read body controls mods are not good on these cars and other electrical componets are faulty...did many drive cycles and the cat system readyness and the  evap readyness will not complete their testing to run immisions...the car has 23,500 miles
10/12/2011
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Hello, when the miss happens, is it a hard miss that you can really feel? and at idle when miss happens, is idle normal or higher than normal
hey tracer... yep when letting the car at idle for maybe 2- 3 min the missfire is very noticeable...i have cleared codes.. then take the car up in rpms ...or for short ride the car runs well and then come to stop it will at idle approx 800 rpm just fine then 2 to 3 min later creat a missfire.....i think it got to be dumpin fuel in no 3 cyl prior to the tdc and fouwling the plug momentarily
do you see any light smoke out tail pipe when miss happens? is check engine light on?

still need to know if rpms go up a bit when miss happens
no noticable smoke... and the rpms seem to stay at level... may be slightly lower ..as a misfire would create but i dont remember the rs changing much...after the code cyl 3 missfire had been cleared and the car is allowed to come to idle then the missfire occurs and engine light comes on again if you take thr rps up clear the engine and its fine let it idle the missfire apears noticably and light imediatly comes on

no noticable smoke... and the rpms seem to stay at level... may be slightly lower ..as a misfire would create but i dont remember the rs changing much...after the code cyl 3 missfire had been cleared and the car is allowed to come to idle then the missfire occurs and engine light comes on again if you take thr rps up clear the engine and its fine let it idle the missfire apears noticably and light imediatly comes on...

Ps i dont see an except link on the page anywhere advise

This is a tough one. I just cant lean to injector control. each injector is controlled by the ECM individual but I honestly have not run into one that only does this at idle and clears on accel. If a fault with injector driver within ECM, one would see the problem/miss all the time. RPM does not affect just one injector driver

Since RPM satus normal, this tends to shy away from intak gasket leak around #3 as if that was the case, you would get a high idle when missing form the leak

Thereown issue with intake causing oil leaks into one or more cylindes and causes plug to foul with oil but.. normall would see light smoke.

Knowing what you did, tried, symptom, compression etc? I lean a bit more to a lifter that is sticking. It could be sticking up at idle till oil pressure rises OR dropping down slightly till oil pressure rises. very low miles and 7 yrs old? it could very well be sticking lifter. This can affect compression slightly and emmisions as well

hate to say jump in and change #3 lifters but surely would drive around with additve in oil designed to help unsick gummed lifters. A product like "restore" or Lucas are good ones

Just cant direct you to replacing ECM right now. yes, the ECM and body modules do in fact have some past problems but none of these are direct to just one injector control It either works or does not.

Putting 2/2 etc leads me more to possible lifter
i will try an additive...also i did get get the readiness to clear one time after driving about 60 miles and then i thought oh good it has righted itsself.....but then the missfire occured again after idle for a few min....just triing to get the readiness to be complete so i can get this 23,000 mile car on the road ....I will deal with the missfire as it appears again ... i just dont permit the car to idle more than a min or the engine light comes on and the readiness will jump back to 4 not complete then it starts all over again and now after over 300 miles driving the evap and catalyst readiness will not complete there test to go thru emissions
The ready will not go through if say the emissions are not correct caused by sticking lifter etc. the o2 sensors are reading higher than normal emissions . yes,, you can play with the running above miss to get ready status but the root cause will still be there.

are you talking about a fuel or oil additive? I put in a lucas fuel additive 300 miles ago

no.. lifters are oil controlled. may be sticking due to age and very low miles. additive for oil to help unstick possible sticking lifter. A sticking lifter can come back to life as you raise RPm as oil pressure jumps a good bit higher
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech