Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

2001 L300: squeaking noise and a clicking noise..my steering wheel

I hear a squeaking noise and a clicking noise when I turn my steering wheel. I have a 2001
L300 - what can cause that?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Is this noise heard inside the vehicle possibly in the steering column or under the hood or outside of the vehicle?

Can you get it to make this noise with the engine off by turning the steering wheel?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I turn teh wheel whikle the car is off, it locks the steerin wheel, always has
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
O.k.

If you turn on the key but not start the engine you should be able to turn the steering wheel,it may be tougher to turn since the engine isn't running but if you can turn it at all with the key all the way on without starting the engine do you hear the same type of noise at all?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have the car with me, it's at Firestone, so I'll have to wait until I get it back later today.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
O.k.

If this noise is heard on the inside of the vehicle this can be caused by the air bag clock spring in the steering column behind the steering wheel.This is an electrical device that transfers the electrical signals to the steering wheel and air bag and is allowed to spin when the steering wheel is turned.This component can fail and develop this noise when turning the wheel as I have seen and have had to replace before.

This is the most common component that will cause this type of click noise in the steering system.I didn't find any recalls or bulletins on this being at fault or steering noises related to this but from what you have described this sounds like the component at fault and may need replaced to correct this fault.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it safe to drive it, do I need it to get fixed immedaitely
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
It should be safe to drive it as i haven't seen an air bag go off with this fault however this may limit the air bag from going off if there is an electrical fault in the clock spring if the vehicle is in a collision.

I would have this checked into as soon as you can to make sure nothing else is at fault and also if this is at fault it should be replaced as soon as you can in case of a future vehicle collision in case this fault keeps the air bag from deploying.