Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Saturn My Check Engine light keeps coming on and off. What

My Check Engine light keeps coming on and off. What causes this to occur?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

have you had the onboard computer read for stored fault codes yet, and if so, what was the fault code number or definition?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know they placed on on the computer and I was only told that I needed to replace the ECG Valve as that what was appearing on the Computer.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
HI,

Ok, most likely a P0401 - insufficient flow in EGR system.

Most of the time this is a combination of the EGR valve being clogged with carbon deposits and the intake port going to it being clogged with carbon deposits. To take care of the problem, the EGR valve is replaced and the intake manifold is removed and the intake ports thoroughly cleaned of all carbon deposits. without doing this, the carbon deposits break off and get into the new EGR valve and cause the check engine light to go on and off as the carbon gets into it.

At this point, you will need to have the intake manifold removed and cleaned of carbon
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.