Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 Saturn Ion: brake shoes..Put everything back together

Customer Question

2006 Saturn Ion 2.4. I just replaced the brake shoes and had the rotters turned. Put everything back together. No problems. I've done this dozens of times. But now I can't get the brakes pump up. Brake pedal keeps going to the floor. No leaks.

I just added another $10. Can somebody please help me. I'll even give a tip if the answer works.
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Does the brake pedal pump up if you were to start the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. I've pumped it up with the engine on and off. Nothing. Pedal just goes to the floor. I wasn't low on brake fluid so there shouldn't be air in the line. I'm waiting for a friend to come over to pump the brakes while I bleed them. Like I said I've done dozens of brake jobs. This is the third on my ION. I've never had a problem before.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
How did you colapse the calipers when you did this job?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
same way I always do. I made a tool to center a clamp so there is even pressure all the way around. Why are you asking? Could I have done something to the calipers? It's possible I might not have had even pressure all around the caliper.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Well, if even a drop of brake fluid comes out from the seal between the piston and caliper when doing this, there will be air in the brake system and it will cause this problem. If not, then you could have incorrect pads or maybe the calipers are bending when you are stepping on the brake pedal. You can clamp off the front brake lines and see if the brake pedal gets any better when doing this. If so, it is going to be in the front calipers that is causing this issue. If not, then it will be either air in the brake system or a bad brake master cylinder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try. I'm taking the brakes apart again. They are the right shoes. Anyway I'll try and get back to you. Thanks, Klay
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You bet!

Just be sure the calipers are not bending causing this problem.

If not, you might just have air in the system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the drivers side bled fine. Barely anything came out on the passenger side, no matter how many times I tried? What do I do now?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Keep trying.. or open the bleeder up on the passenger side and let it gravity bleed for about 10 minutes. Be sure to take the cap off of the master cylinder reservoir.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took off the caliper and the seal is bulging out. Gee I wonder if that could be the problem. LOL. I'll hit accept answer for you. You did lead me in the right direction. Have good day.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the accept!

Have a great day!