Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Saturn ION 2004 Saturn Ion randomly wont start. I get the

2004 Saturn Ion randomly won't start. I get the yellow paslock icon. at first if I took the key out of the ignition and waited 10 minutes it would start and run with no problem, then it happens again. In fact right now, the paslock icon is on and the car won't start and I have waited the 10 minutes & tried it several times. This was happening only when I had started the car, driven for 10 to 15 minutes, shut it off and then it wouldn't start. Lately it is completely random; cold car, warm car, cold outside, sitting in the sun, or in the garage.
I have been told there is a white wire that I should cut while the engine is running. will this work? where do I find the wire? Or is there a better solution?

You should never cut any wires to try to keep a car running.

If you are having a problem with the pass lock, you have to do a 30 minute relearn to reset it not a 10 minute. Here are the steps you have to follow.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well that didn't work but I think the battery is run down, so I am charging it and will try the procedure again. Right now I have a steady error light on.

You will need to keep the battery fully charged to do this. Make sure to leave the battery charger connected but on a 10 amp charge during the relearn.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will, Thanks for the info. Hope this fixes it, but should this happen again do I follow the relearn procedure? Or when it will start just head to the mechanic for a replacement part, I am asking for your opinion but I know you don't have a crystal ball. lol
If the problem persists then you may need to have the ignition switch lock or the bcm "body control module" replaced. It is not common for the bcm to go bad, and the ignition switch is the most common part to go bad.