Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Experience:  17 years Saturn Technician experience.
14928985

2005 Saturn: Relay..my transmission rebuilt completely about 5 months

2005 Saturn Relay. I had my transmission rebuilt completely about 5 months ago. All worked fine. I replaced the front tires about a month ago...exact same size, but different manufacturer. Now the tranny is slipping in "D". It works fine when I shift into 1st-3rd just fine. Drive shifts through the gears just fine, but starts to slip when I'm at speed (happens from 40mph on up). I'll press the gas and the engine revs, but no accelleration. Took the Van back to the shop and they fed me some line about the tires being different even though they are the exact same size. Don't care what they say, ALL tires are slightly different. I know there's a tolerance for tires sizes for AWD. They finally said there is a problem with the tranny but I have to get new rear tires before work is done. I asked why it took a month for the tranny to decide to start slipping and was told that the tranny and computer are adaptive and it took a month to figure out it was out of balance. That just set my BS meter off. How would that account for every-day wear on tires? By the way, the "AWD Disabled" prompt has been on for about 2 years now. They said only a dealer can reset that. Luckily, the rebuild is warranted (parts and labor), but I don't want to be going through a transmission repair every 5 or 6 months until the warranty period is over. Does it sound like a bad rebuild or something else?
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

From what you have described here this does sound like the transmission was rebuilt incorrectly or a component inside of it has already failed and is causing this problem.

As long as you have the right size tires and all 4 tires match since this is an all wheel drive then the tires are not the issue here.

On an all wheel drive vehicle you want to always make sure you have matching tire sizes and tread as wrong sizes or different tires from front to rear will cause problems like the AWD disabled message and possibly shifting concerns,although even if this was the case with the tires drive would still operate and wouldn't slip,it may just shift differently.

The AWD disabled message can be on for a bunch of different reasons.The way to find out why this message is on is to have the fault codes read out of the computer systems to see what is setting a code and is causing this message.Then it can be diagnosed to what is at fault and then repaired.

When they repair the transmission again this shouldn't fail again like this,this may have just been a bad part installed or something was missed.If it does happen again shortly after this new repair I would ask them if you can just get a new or rebuilt transmission installed since it would be your third time to the shop.They should help pay for this if it is needed since the work done on your transmission isn't working out.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the answer! I have a follow-up question if you have time: The Aamco guys said the AWD disabled code can only be reset by a GM dealer and they can't reset it. Sound right?
This can be correct if the Aamco technician doesn't have a scan tool that can communicate with the AWD system.

Some shops wont have a scan tool that can communicate with all of the computers on a vehicle,this is most likely why you were told this.

It doesn't necessarily mean a dealer has to do this but a shop with a scan tool that can communicate with the AWD system on your vehicle.You would have to check around for a shop that can do this,most of the time a phone call to a shop and they could tell you yes or no.