Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

My 98 SL1 Manual Transmission linkage..engage..gears..console

Customer Question
My 98 SL1 Manual Transmission...
My 98 SL1 Manual Transmission linkage doesn't engage gears 2, 4 &R. I've removed the console and the linkage is OK inside the car. I've also confirmed both linkage cables are still attached to the transmission.

There is a "Hold-down" spot where the cables turn left into the engine compartment, and screws are loose. Could simply tigjhtening these fix my problem?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Saturn
12/8/2010
Saturn Mechanic: Dave Nova, Saturn Technician replied 7 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Saturn problem.

A loose hold down in the middle of the cable will not harm anything. As long as the cable housing is secure at the shifter end and at the transmission end, this should be okay. A common problem is the rubber bushing coming out of the end of the cable where the cable attaches at the transmission. Check this carefully and let me know if you need additional assistance.

The cable (just replaced 11 months ago BTW) looks from below like it's "frayed" in a way. While the white plastic center is intact, the metal wires surounding (protecting?) the center are exposed. could this be the problem?

Can I send you a photo somehow?

You can click on the tree icon above the dialog box that you type in to attach a picture.

Saturn Mechanic: David, Mechanic replied 7 years ago
David, Mechanic

OK. Here is the pic. Sorry it took a while...

Upon further review, the white plastic you see is just a sheath over the steel cable in the center. Here you can see the steel "wires" that I spoke of before. Can this be repaired in the car, or must the cable be removed first?

I "just happen" to have the old cable set that was replaced last year when the bushing came loose under the console. (Nothing wrong with them, but it cost me almost $600 for the parts and labor at an AAMCO place, because they said the bushing was not available as a single part from Saturn.) I noticed that the place where the wires go into in the cable is hexagonally shaped like it might be tightened with a wrench. But when I tried this on the old cable, it just spun in my vise.

I also noticed that the Holddown point I referred to before is sitting about 6 inches forward of the firewall, and there's nothing to tighten it to. My thinking is the AAMCO guy who "fixed" this for me last year found it difficult to put the holddown back where it belongs, so he jibbered some tarlike schmutz in the hole and called it a day. Any chance this could have caused the cable failure I'm trying to fix?graphic

After looking at the picture, the cable is definitely bad. The cable housing has pulled out of the crimp at the end of the cable. This does not appear to be an installation error. You will need to replace the cable. You may be able to use one of the old cables if you can repair the bushing end. Check the link below for replacement bushings for the Saturn shift cables.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/TC/4883-06008408.html?utm_sou rce=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1991-2001+Saturn+SL1+M%2FT+Shift+Cable+Bushing+Replacement+91-01+Saturn+M%2FT+Shift+Cable+Bushing&utm_content=TC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

.

Did you need additional help with your question?

.

If I could capture the wires with a hose clamp (or three) on the outside of the crimp, would that Arabize the cable assembly enough to allow shifting?
You would need to be able to insert the housing (metal strands and plastic sheathing) back down into the metal crimp sleeve at the end, then clamp it in place. This may require the crimp sleeve to be opened back up a bit. This may be difficult to do.
Too hard to stick the wires inside the crimp. I hope to capture them outside and hold th in place with three little hose clamps. Question: is there a particular gear position I should put the shifter in before attempting the repair?
I would suggest moving the shift lever and transmission linkage into the 4th gear position before clamping the cable housing.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician