Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Saturn Vue: jerking gears now reverse wont work..car wont…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Saturn...
I have a 2008 Saturn Vue, first started jerking gears now Reverse won't work. my husband said that the car won't go over 40 and the air is blowing hot
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Saturn Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
is the engine light on>? how many miles on the car? is it still under warranty?
No engine light, nothing has come on. car has 52,000 miles and no warranty.

these trannys can be trouble...there are a few recalls

MAKE/MODELS: MODEL/BUILD YEARS:

Saturn/VUE 2008

MANUFACTURER: General Motors Corp.

MFR'S REPORT DATE : May 05, 2008

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER : 08V200000

NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: N/A

COMPONENT: POWER TRAIN: Automatic Transmission

POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 26

SUMMARY:
GM is recalling 26 M/Y 2008 Saturn VUE vehicles equipped with a 6T70 6-speed automatic transmission. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the transmission case side bore that holds the park pawl pivot pin may have a casting porosity. This condition, coupled with normal operating stresses, could lead to failure, eliminating the ability to secure the transmission in 'park' position.

CONSEQUENCE:
If this happens while the vehicle is parked on a non-level surface, the vehicle could roll without warning and cause injury to people in its path.
REMEDY:
Dealers will replace the transmission free of charge. The recall began on May 5, 2008. Owners may contact Saturn at 1-800-972-8876.

NOTES:
GM recall No. 08168. Customers may contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov/.

Recall - Automatic Transmission Replacement

# XXXXX: Product Safety - Transmission Case Porosity at Park Pawl Pivot Pin Bore 6T70 6-Speed Transmission (RPO MH2; MH4) - Replace Transmission - (May 1, 2008)

Subject:
08168 -- Transmission Case Porosity at Park Pawl Pivot Pin Bore - 6T70 6-Speed Transmission (RPO MH2; MH4) - Replace Transmission

Models:
Certain 2008 Saturn VUE

Equipped with 6T70 6-Speed (RPO MH2; MH4) Transmission

Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2008 Saturn VUE vehicles, equipped with a 6T70 6-Speed FWD (RPO MH2) or AWD (RPO MH4) transmission. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the transmission case side bore that holds the park pawl pivot pin may have a casting porosity. This condition, coupled with normal operating stresses, could lead to failure, eliminating the ability to secure the transmission in 'park' position. If this happens while the vehicle is parked on a non-level surface, the vehicle could roll without warning and cause injury to people in its path.

Correction

Retailers are to replace the transmission.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2008 Saturn VUE vehicles, equipped with a 6T70 6-Speed FWD (RPO MH2) or AWD (RPO MH4) transmission and built within the VIN breakpoints shown above.

Important: retailers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

--Saturn US retailers should use the "Investigate Vehicle History" link on the Global Warranty Management application within DealerWorld.

For retailers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Retailers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned..

--US Saturn retailers - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information -- Saturn US Only

Important: Due to the small number of vehicles involved, dealers should only order the transmission for listed VINs.

Saturn will not be doing a pre-shipment of parts for this recall. Please place orders for the required parts as necessary.

Service Procedure

Refer to Automatic Transmission - 6T70/6T75 in Service Information (SI) for the following:

^Transmission Replacement (3.5L LZ4)

^Transmission Replacement (3.6L LY7)

Courtesy Transportation

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Saturn retailers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Claim Information - Saturn US Only

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter shown in this bulletin).

Dealer Recall Responsibility

The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.

Dealer Recall Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Retailers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the retailer listing, are to be contacted by the retailer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is shown in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle