Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Saturn Vue: 000 miles..car suddenly lost power..miss..rev…

Hi, I have a 2003...
Hi, I have a 2003 Saturn Vue, 2.2L, auto, with about 90,000 miles. While driving, the car suddenly lost power, or bogged down when stepping on the accelerator. The engine usually idels with a miss now, and will still bog down unless you step on the accelerator gently, then it will rev normally. We were barely able to drive it back to the dealer, at 25mph or less. The dealer said it was a bad catylic converter. I changed that myself, along with the O2 sensors, and the problem remains. I have since checked the codes myself, and found only a general miss code. The spark plugs are new, as are the coils. The fuel pressure is steady at 61psi. Please help.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician

Hello!

You could have a bad mass air flow senor or a bad MAP sensor. I believe your engine uses a MAP sensor. HOwever sometimes a mass air flow sensor is used in its place. If you have a MAP sensor, check to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks and that the hose to the MAP sensor is hooked up and is nice and tight. If you use a mass air flow sensor, you can try disconnecting it and see if the engine runs better.

ALso, if you take a vacuum reading at idle, you should have full manifold vacuum. About 19 or 21 inches of solid steady engine vacuum.

If it is much less, you could have a vacuum leak or your valve timing could be off

Amedee,

Thanks for the quick reply. The vacuum pressure is steady at 19, and I should have mentioned before that I have already replaced the MAP sensor. The car always starts right up, seems to run better when it's cold, and revs well under zero load. When you add even a slight load (step hard on the accelerator, even in neutral), the engine bogs, misses, and will barely rev. What's next?

Rich

DO you have a volmteter or a scanner that can read live data?

DO you know the code number in the computer?

Edited by AMEDEE on 6/27/2010 at 8:03 PM EST
Yes on the voltmeter, and my scanner does not read live data. The only code I picked up from the scanner was p0300 "general miss". I should tell you that the battery had died and I may have lost some of the codes. I tried running the car at 3000rpm until this electric fan came on, to reaclimate the system.

Well, if the engine is not misfiring and just bogging down, you could have a lean condition caused by low fuel pressure or too much air some how. Maybe your electrocnic throttle body is bad?

The ignition coils and modules go bad all the time causing this problem. If the module has not been changed, then maybe thats your problem.

I suspected that the throttle body could be the problem; is there a way that I can test it? Also, the engine does misfire, but not all the time. How should I proceed?
Well, do you have a scanner that can read live data? HOw do you plan on testing the electronic throttle?

Mine doesn't; is that the best way to tell if it's bad?

THat is the only way I know how to test a throttle body besides it setting a code and going through the diagnostic procedure.
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Ok then, I'll look into the thottle body and the ign module. Thanks for your help, you've been great.
Sounds good!

THanks for the accept!

Let me know if you have any further questions!