Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Saturn Ion 3: idles very high..cuts..freon level..running fine…

Customer Question
My Saturn Ion 3 idles...
My Saturn Ion 3 idles very high at stop lights, as well as the ac works sometimes through town but if i am going faster then 45mph it completely cuts off. I have already taken it and had the freon level tested, tested o.k. My car has also been running fine and then i will stop turn it off, restart the car and it dies on me. HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
6/24/2010
Saturn Mechanic: 15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech replied 8 years ago
15yearsaturnguy
15yearsaturnguy, Saturn master tech

your car uses throttle by wire, basically that means that you have no accelerator cable. The computer drives the throttle motor open and closed to match what you do with your foot.

If the computer sees a problem with one of the sensors, one symptom might be a high idle and another symptom might be AC shutting off.

Unfortunately without the use of a scan tool, you will not be able to diagnose this. Doesn't sound like a simple issue.

Sorry.

I hope this helps.

i do have a scan tool i have put it on the car i got a p0171 fuel trim problem an i got p0442 an p0496 codes i unplugged the mass air flow it did not changed anything car still done the same thing i recharged the ac today let it run at 35 hundred rpms for 15 mins ac worked great let it idle an it idled fine i test drove it an soon as i got some speed the ac went off an when i stopped ac worked great then car idled way up to like 4 grand then comes back down so maybe this helps

OK, the p0496 means the cannister purge solenoid is drawing a vacuum in the fuel tank even when commanded off, the p0171 means you are running lean...like a vacuum leak.

Sounds related.

The solenoid is on the back side of the cylinder head (drivers side of the engine compartment, it has 2 plastic vacuum lines going to it. The one that goes into the fuel tank should not have vacuum when the connector is un-plugged.

Try checking that.

Also, a vacuum leak in the intake can cause the p0171 and the high idle.

Not sure how anyt of this ties into the AC system but fix the known issues first and then see if the AC issue corrects itself.

I will need to know what the value of the following sensors are when the a/c dies and the idle is high

iat

cts

stft

ltft

b1 s1 o2s

b1 s2 o2s

desired RPM

actual RPM

we will check in morning if all goes well i will double your payment thank you so much
how did you make out?