Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 saturn: what tools are required to replace the fuel pump…

Customer Question
I need to know how...
I need to know how to, and what tools are required to replace the fuel pump on my 2000 Saturn sl2. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
6/21/2010
Saturn Mechanic: John, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
John, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Customer:

Howdy.

john :

You will need to remove the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump.
This will require some jack stands & a floor jack.
You will then need a 3/8 ratchet,metric sockets,needle nose pliers,hammet,chisel,long flat blade screw driver.

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

So i'm not fortunate nough to have an access hatch under my back seat?

john :

No,,not on this particular model.I can send removal repair instructions ,if you would like.

Customer:

that would be helpful.

john :

Ok,I will be right back.

Customer:

What are the safety considerations?

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Fuel Tank Replacement
  1. Assure that the fuel level in the tank is not greater than half. If necessary, drain the fuel tank to at least this level. Position on a hoist.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    Object Number: 871746  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Caution: Fuel supply lines will remain pressurized for long periods of time after the engine is shutdown. This pressure must be relieved before servicing the fuel system.

3. Relieve the pressure in the fuel system at the fuel pressure test port. Object Number: 871748  Size: SH
  4. Remove the fuel filler cap and rubber closeout grommet around the fuel filler pipe neck, inside the fuel filler door.
  5. Remove the attachment screw, T-30, at the upper end of the filler pipe.
  6. Raise the vehicle to a comfortable working position.
  7. Remove the wheel house inner liner.
  8. Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent solenoid.
    Object Number: 871710  Size: SH
  9. Remove the fuel filler pipe lower bracket attachment screw (10 mm hex) at the underbody left hand side rail.
  10. Disconnect the EVAP canister vent pipe at the 5/8 in. quick connect to the canister vent hose.
  11. Loosen the fuel filler pipe hose clamp (7 mm hex) closest to the fuel tank.

Caution: Several ounces of gasoline may remain in the fuel filler pipe due to the design of the inlet check valve. Be aware of this when handling the filler pipe during removal from the fuel tank. Surround the check valve body with a shop cloth held in place with your hand. Have a suitable container available and drain any fuel by unseating the check valve.

Important: To provide space to remove the filler pipe, guide the top of the filler pipe into the quarter panel opening while removing the fuel filler pipe.

12. Disengage the filler pipe hose from the fuel tank and remove the fuel filler pipe.
    Object Number: 871764  Size: SH

Notice: Keep fuel filler pipe as straight and level as possible when removing it from the tank. Fuel fill check valve clamp may drag on the inlet neck of the tank and care should be used in removing it. If valve is dislodged from filler pipe it may remain in the tank.

Important: If there is more than 11.5 L (3 gal) of fuel in the tank, insert a suitable siphon hose into tank filler neck and remove remaining fuel into a certified fuel handling cart.

13. Remove the 2 screws, 10 mm hex, that attach the fuel filter/pressure regulator bracket to the vehicle underbody.

Caution: Whenever fuel line fittings are loosened or removed, wrap a shop cloth around the fitting and have an approved container available to collect any fuel.

14. Disconnect the fuel feed line, 90 degree quick-connect, from the outlet of the filter/pressure regulator.
  15. Disconnect the fuel vapor/canister purge line at the 90° quick-connect adjacent to the fuel filter/pressure regulator.
  16. Slide the filter/regulator bracket out from under the brake lines.
    Object Number: 871804  Size: SH
  17. With the aid of an assistant, remove the 2 tank retaining strap bolts, 15 mm hex, and lower the tank enough to disconnect the 2 electrical connectors to the fuel pump and tank pressure sensor.
  18. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.

Object Number: 871804  Size: SH
  1. With the aid of an assistant, position the fuel tank under the vehicle.
  2. Attach the electrical connectors to the fuel pump and tank pressure sensor.

Object Number: 871764  Size: SH

Important: Position the fuel tank solidly against the left hand underbody side rail prior to tightening the strap mounting bolts. A small white locator button on the left side of the fuel tank shell should be tight against the left side rail at the completion of installation.

3. Reposition the fuel tank mounting straps and shield around the tank and install the strap mounting bolts, 15 mm hex, to the underbody.

Tighten
    Tighten the fuel tank straps-to-body bolts to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

4. Install (2) mounting screws (10 mm hex) for the fuel filter/pressure regulator bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the fuel filter/pressure regulator-to-frame rail to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

Notice: Replace plastic fuel line retainers whenever the fuel supply or return line is disconnected at the fuel rail. Install the new retainer into the female cavity of the connection. Care must be taken to ensure that the locking tab is centered in the window of the female cavity. Firmly press the female connection onto the male end until a click is heard, then pull back to confirm engagement. Pinched, kinked, or damaged fuel lines must be replaced.

5. Install a new retainer into the female portion of the 90 degree quick-connect fitting on the underbody fuel feed line.

Important: Lubricate the male ends of the filter/regulator with clean engine oil to ease installation.

6. Install the underbody fuel feed line onto the outlet of filter/regulator.
    Object Number: 871640  Size: SH
  7. Ensure that the fuel filler check valve is in place at the end of fuel filler pipe.

Important: To ease installation, lightly wipe the outside of the fuel tank inlet connector with plain water.

8. Position the filler pipe into the wheel opening with the top of the pipe within the body panel opening.
  9. Install the fuel filler pipe into the fuel tank opening.
    Object Number: 871764  Size: SH
  10. Loosely install the filler pipe lower bracket attachment screw, 10 mm hex, but do not tighten.

Important: Ensure that the EVAP vent solenoid pipe is installed in position on the filler pipe bracket.

11. Lower the vehicle and install the filler pipe upper bracket attachment screw (T-30).

Tighten
    Tighten the fuel tank fill pipe-to-upper bracket screw to 3.5-4.5 N·m (31-39 lb in).

Object Number: 871710  Size: SH
  12. Install the rubber closeout grommet to the body and filler pipe.
  13. Install the fuel cap.
  14. Raise the vehicle to a comfortable working height.

Important: Ensure that the fuel pipe connecting hose is installed to within 6 mm (1/4 in) of the stops on the fuel tank inlet connector. The hose clamp should be located within 4 mm (3/16 in) of the end of the connecting hose.

15. Tighten the hose clamp, 7 mm hex, on the filler pipe to the fuel tank connecting hose.

Tighten
    Tighten the fuel tank fill hose-to-clamp to 3.5-4.5 N·m (31-39 lb in).

16. Connect the EVAP canister vent pipe at the quick connect to canister vent hose.
  17. Tighten the lower attachment screw on the filler pipe to the underbody.

Tighten
    Tighten the fuel tank fill pipe-to-underbody rail to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

18. Connect the wiring harness to the EVAP vent solenoid.
  19. Install the wheelhouse inner liner to the wheel opening.
  20. Add fuel, install the filler cap, and connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
    Tighten the battery terminal bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

21. Prime the fuel system using either of the following methods:
    Using the ignition, cycle the switch ON for 5 seconds and then OFF for 10 seconds. Repeat this twice.
    Energize the fuel pump using the scan tool. . Run the pump for 10-20 seconds.
  22. Examine the fuel supply line for leaks at the filter/pressure regulator.
  23. Crank the engine until it starts, allowing a maximum of 15 seconds of cranking time.
  24. Perform the Service Bay Diagnostic Test for the evaporative emission system using the scan tool. This test will verify the integrity of the vapor handling areas of the fuel system.

25. Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement

Tools Required

Object Number: 871814  Size: SH

Caution: Do not allow smoking or the use of open flames in the area where work on the fuel or EVAP system is taking place. Anytime work is being done on the fuel system, disconnect the negative battery cable, except for those tests where battery voltage is required.

Notice: Clean all fuel pipe and hose connections and surrounding areas before disassembling to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system. Spray the fuel pump module cam-lock ring tang with penetrating oil prior to attempting removal.

1. Remove the fuel tank.
    2. Disconnect the fuel feed and return lines from the filter/pressure regulator.
    3. Disconnect the fuel pump vapor line from the fuel tank vent pipe.

Notice: To prevent retainer damage, do not attempt to remove the retainer with a 12 in. or shorter ratchet/breaker bar.

4. remove the fuel pump module retaining ring. A 1/2 in. breaker bar (approximately 18 inches long) will easily loosen and remove the lock ring.
    5. To prevent bending of the sending unit float arm during removal, lift the pump module up slightly to disengage the orientation tabs in the tank and rotate the module 90 degrees clockwise until the fuel lines are facing the 1 o'clock position. 12 o'clock is front of tank.
      Object Number: 871819  Size: SH

Notice: Care must be taken not to bend or twist the fuel pump filter or sending unit float arm during removal or installation of the fuel pump module assembly. A damaged fuel pump filter restricts fuel flow to the pump and a bent sending unit arm will not provide accurate readings. Care must be taken to assure the pump module is not dropped. A dropped pump can dislodged internal parts creating a noisy and/or leakage condition.

6. Carefully lift the fuel pump module, with the sending unit, straight up from the fuel tank until the bottom of the pump module is very close to the fuel tank opening. Then tilt the pump module about 45 degrees toward the right side of the tank and simultaneously lift it up and out of the tank opening watching that the level sender float arm is not being bent.

Important: Always replace the fuel pump module to tank seal, O-ring whenever the assembly is removed. The correct seal is green in color. Do not use the older black seal.

Important: Inspect the fuel tank for metal chips/debris. Remove all contaminants and replace the in-line fuel filter before installing a new fuel pump assembly when debris is present.

7. Discard the fuel pump module to tank seal.

Object Number: 873106  Size: SH

Important: If a new fuel pump module is being installed, make sure that fuel level sender is installed on module BEFORE installing into fuel tank.

1. Inspect the fuel tank and clean the fuel tank seal groove of any foreign debris and install a new seal.

Important: The correct seal is green in color. Do not use the older black seal.

2. Verify that the float arm on the fuel level sender has not been bent by standing the fuel pump module on a flat, horizontal surface and measuring the distance from this surface and the bottom of the float. A 5/32 in. diameter drill can be used as a gauge. The gauge must freely pass between the float and the horizontal surface with no more than 1/16 in. clearance.
      Object Number: 871819  Size: SH

Important: If the float arm requires repositioning to meet the clearance specification, assure that any bending is performed at the 90 degree bend near the level sender. The short section of the float arm going into the level sender must be supported so that bending does not take place at the level sender.

3. Carefully install the fuel pump module with sending unit in the fuel tank by orienting the float to face the right side of the tank, tilting the pump module approximately 45 degrees, and loading the float arm and pump into the tank opening. Insert the pump module all the way down into the tank and then rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise to align the module orientation tabs with slots in the tank opening. Correctly oriented, the lines from the pump module will be facing the 10 o'clock position. 12 o'clock is the front of tank.

Important: The fuel pump retaining ring cannot be properly installed if the pump flange locator tabs are not aligned with the slots in the tank.

4. Install the retaining lock ring .
    5. Connect fuel pump vapor line to fuel tank vent pipe.
    6. Connect the fuel feed and return lines to the filter/pressure regulator.
    7. Position the fuel feed, fuel return, and EVAP canister purge line in the fuel tank retaining clip and snap shut.
    8. Install the loose retainer clip around the fuel feed, return, and purge line at upsets and snap closed.
    9. Install the fuel tank.
    10. Perform the Service Bay Diagnostic Test for the evaporative emission system using the scan tool. This test will verify the integrity of the vapor handling areas of the fuel system.