Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 L series: 2.2 liter..smell..getting enough fuel..it keeps jerking…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 L...
I have a 2001 L series Saturn, 2.2 liter. When standing still its sputting and u can smell the exhuast like it was not getting enough fuel or the fuel was not completely burning. When at a stop like it keeps jerking and wanted to cut off. In runs with full power on the interstate but when u come to a stop it keeps jerking like it wants to cut off. Now the car want even crank.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
6/17/2010
Saturn Mechanic: Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
You may have a simple problem. I would first check the throttle body and make sure that it is nice and clean.If there is a lot of carbon build up this can cause this problem.If the throttle body is clean next I would change the ingition module.It is located on top of the spark plug cover and they have a history of going bad.One more thing if your car wont crank make sure you have a fully charged battery and check the terminals (remove the bolts)to make sure there is no corrosion build up.Please me know if this has helped,Don
Itspins over but, its not cranking. I thought it may b the module, but I wanted to make sure b4 I spend 80 bucks. Thanks.
If you have access to a scanner it would help you by accessing the module but if you dont and you have fuel pressure I would pretty much assume that the module is your problem.You can remove the spark plug cover and install some used plugs to see if you are getting spark just make sure the tips of the plugs are grounded.Good luck,Don