Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

2004 Saturn Ion: drum brakes..tension..the parking brake cable/spring

I am replacing brakes on...
I am replacing brakes on 2004 Saturn Ion with drum brakes in rear, and am having trouble relieving tension on the parking brake cable/spring in order to take off the old shoes and replace them.
5/30/2010
John, ASE Certified Technician

Here is some info that should help you.The key to this is the special brake spring too which you can probably get at your local parts supplier.

Brake Shoe Replacement

Tools Required

Brake Shoe Spanner and Spring Remover

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Remove the brake drum.
    Object Number: 900061  Size: SH

3. Notice: Do not over stretch the adjuster spring. Damage can occur if the spring is over stretched.

4. Remove the adjuster spring (1). Disengage the adjuster spring hook end from the tab on the adjuster actuator lever, then release the spring from the brake shoe web hole.
    Object Number: 900065  Size: SH

5. Remove the adjuster actuator lever (1) from the pivot.
    Object Number: 890724  Size: SH

6. Using the special tool (1), spread the top of the brake shoes apart.
  7. Remove the adjuster assembly (2) from the brake shoes.
    Object Number: 890726  Size: SH

8. Position the hook end of the special tool (1) under the universal spring and lightly pull the universal spring end out of the shoe web hole. Hold the universal spring while removing the trailing brake shoe.
  9. Release the park brake cable from the park brake lever on the trailing shoe.
    Object Number: 890725  Size: SH

10. Position the hook end of the special tool (1) under the universal spring and lightly pull the universal spring end out of the shoe web hole. Hold the universal spring while removing the leading brake shoe.

Object Number: 818058  Size: SH

1. Measure the brake shoe lining thickness.

Specification
    Brake Shoe Lining Minimum Thickness: 0.5 mm (0.020 in).

2. If the brake shoe lining thickness is at or below the minimum specification, replace the brake shoes.
    Object Number: 890725  Size: SH

3. Apply a thin, light coat of high temperature silicone brake lubricant to the brake shoe contact surfaces of the brake backing plate.
  4. Position the hook end of the special tool (1) under the universal spring and lightly pull the universal spring end out while installing the leading brake shoe. Ensure that the universal spring engages the brake shoe web hole.
    Object Number: 890726  Size: SH

5. Install the park brake cable to the park brake lever on the trailing brake shoe.
  6. Position the hook end of the special tool (1) under the universal spring and lightly pull the universal spring end out while installing the trailing brake shoe. Ensure that the universal spring properly engages the brake shoe web hole.
    Object Number: 890724  Size: SH

7. Using the special tool (1), spread the top of the brake shoes apart.
  8. Install the adjuster assembly (2) to the brake shoes.
    Object Number: 900065  Size: SH

9. Install the adjuster actuator lever (1) to the brake shoe and the adjuster assembly. Ensure that the lever is properly engaged between the adjuster assembly and the brake shoe.
    Object Number: 900061  Size: SH

Notice: Do not over stretch the adjuster spring. Damage can occur if the spring is over stretched.

10. Install the adjuster spring (1). Ensure that the loop end of the spring fully engages the tab on the actuator lever.
  11. Adjust the drum brakes.
  12. Install the brake drum. .
  13. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Lower the vehicle.
Thanks for the info. The problem I am having is specifically with the parking brake cable. There is too much tension on the cable an spring to allow me to hook it back on the lever of the new shoe. I read somewhere that a person needs to find the adjustment nut under the center console and relieve the tension that way. If this is not correct, then please let me know, Otherwise I am diving in to the center console to gain access to the adjustment. I've never encountered anything like this in all the brake jobs I have performed in the past, but it seems like the only way.

Ok,here is the information you requested.It is inside the console.

Parking Brake Adjustment (Drum Brake)

Important: The park brake cable adjusting nut is a nylon lock type. Use ONLY HAND TOOLS whenever tightening or loosening the adjusting nut.

Object Number: 891424  Size: SH

1. Apply and fully release the park brake several times. Verify that the park brake lever releases completely.
  2. Turn ON the ignition. Verify the red BRAKE warning lamp is not illuminated.
  3. If the red BRAKE warning lamp is illuminated, verify the following:
    The park brake lever is in the fully released position and against the stop.
    There is no slack in the park brake cables.
  4. If the red BRAKE warning lamp remained illuminated and there were no other visible causes,
  5. Turn OFF the ignition.
  6. Release the park brake lever boot from the floor console by applying light pressure inward on the sides of the boot retainer, and pull the boot back.
  7. With the park brake lever in the released position, loosen the adjusting nut (1) enough to completely relieve tension on the front cable.
  8. Raise and support the vehicle. Raise the vehicle just enough to allow rear tire and wheel assembly removal and rear drum adjustment. Remove the rear tire and wheel assemblies.
John, ASE Certified Technician
John, ASE Certified Technician