Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

1996 Saturn: 1.9 dohc axle seal..great drove like 25miles..park..leak

Customer Question
1996 Saturn SL2 1.9 DOHC...
1996 Saturn SL2 1.9 DOHC axle seal
Had a bad axle seal replaced seal work great drove like 25miles and started gushing out? took it home replaced axle and jack shaft made sure no burs on shaft replace seal again this time did not even drive or move the car yet in park, just started up and still leak real good out of seal in the id center and on the shaft? its the correct seal made sure call the vendor of the national seal #4614N OD=2.167 shaft id=1.377 so it cant be a bad carrier bearing or bur's on the jack shaft damaging the seal because i didn't move the car and used Emory cloth as well on the shaft. there is only one way for the seal to go in the way the housing and the part is made also can't be depth because its go's in to the lip on the seal itself made that way??? replaced top motor mount and trans mount like 4-months ago can one of the other 2 dog bones be making the axle hurt the seal when i lower the car down if it was bad ??? i dono at this point why its leaking?? also if not moving the car is their something in the inside of the trans that can ruined the seal just starting it up and apply brake with drive and rev but not moving it???? this is staring to be a real headache??? please
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Saturn
5/6/2010
Saturn Mechanic: Dave Nova, Saturn Technician replied 7 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
Compare the seal to the original if you still have it. If not, make sure the seal fits tightly into the transmission and make sure the inner lip of the seal sits snugly on the axle shaft. The most likely problem is that the axle is not properly seating into the transmission. Inspect the locking ring on the end of the axle shaft that fits into the transmission. Make sure it is in place and is not bent or damaged. When installing the axle make sure it goes all the way in and locks. Pull out on the axle to make sure it does not easily slide out and that it is actually locked in place.
yes i check the snap ring and made sure the shaft was in right and tight but i think maybe the spring that is inside around the seal might be coming off while installing it. was told to pack with gresse so spring dont pop off during the install of seal or while putting in the shaft any thoughs on this? and someone also so told me to check the splines also?
You can pack the backside of the seal with grease. This will help to keep the spring in place. Just make sure there are no burrs on the splines that could damage the seal and make sure not to drag the splines across the seal when installing the axle.
1996 Saturn SL2 1.9 DOHC axle seal
Had a bad axle seal replaced seal work great drove like 25miles and started gushing out? took it home replaced axle and jack shaft made sure no burs on shaft replace seal again this time did not even drive or move the car yet in park, just started up and still leak real good out of seal in the id center and on the shaft? its the correct seal made sure call the vendor of the national seal #4614N OD=2.167 shaft id=1.377 so it cant be a bad carrier bearing or bur's on the jack shaft damaging the seal because i didn't move the car and used Emory cloth as well on the shaft. there is only one way for the seal to go in the way the housing and the part is made also can't be depth because its go's in to the lip on the seal itself made that way??? replaced top motor mount and trans mount like 4-months ago can one of the other 2 dog bones be making the axle hurt the seal when i lower the car down if it was bad ??? i dono at this point why its leaking?? also if not moving the car is their something in the inside of the trans that can ruined the seal just starting it up and apply brake with drive and rev but not moving it???? this is staring to be a real headache??? please your answer not real help me
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician