Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

saturn: sl1..trunk light stays on..There is a metal membrane visible

i have a saturn SL1...
i have a saturn SL1 and the trunk light stays on. Have checked the latch and it seems ok. There is a metal membrane visible when the latch is in the closed position and wonder if that has something to do with it. Please advise how to correct.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2009
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
The trunk light operates off of the body fuse. The light gets its ground from a switch that is built into the latch.There will be a connector at the latch that has a black wire and an orange/black wire. Disconnecting these wires should cause the light to go out. If so, replace the trunk latch.
i disconected all of the wires and the dash trunk open light is still on. what next
Does the cargo light in the trunk stay on as well?
no i took the light bulb out
If the cargo light was staying on(before you removed the bulb) and the trunk ajar light on the dash stays on, there is a short in the orange/black wire. Trace this wire from the trunk latch to the trunk light area.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician
nice going. did what you said and disconnected the orange and black wire from the latch to the cargo light. and the trunk light did go off. now will have to find out where the short is. thanks for you help. may get back to you on the other thing
If you disconnected the wire at the latch, the switch in the latch is shorted.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Saturn Technician