Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

I put a timing belt on this saturn vue 3.0 dual over cam in

just the exact spot I...
I put a timing belt on this saturn vue 3.0 dual over cam in just the exact spot I took it off. The cam marks are right on the money with the backing plate. The crank mark is aligned with the mark at the bottom of the engine casing the way it is supposed to be but "the engine is 180 past top dead center". Is this o.k.???
11/5/2009
AMMaxey
AMMaxey, Saturn Technician

this means that the timing will be 180 degrees off, so now it isn't okay. It will not bend valves but the car will run badly. There is an incredibly detailed timing procedure for this vehicle so taking it off and putting it back on in the same place isn't enough. I will try and copy and paste the procedure for you if the GMM server will allow it:

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Remove the timing belt front cover. Timing Belt Front Cover Replacement
  • Rotate the crankshaft using the J 42098 until #1 cylinder is at 60 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).
  • Install the crankshaft locking tool, J 42069 .
  • Rotate the crankshaft in the engine rotational direction (clockwise) using the J 42098 until #1 cylinder is at TDC and tighten the lever arm to the water pump pulley flange.
    Object Number: 894190  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Important: Ensure that the alignment of the crankshaft is not 180 degrees off. The alignment marks must align with the corresponding notches on the rear timing belt cover.

• Install 1-2 and 3-4 camshaft locks, J 42069 and J42069-2.
    Object Number: 894697  Size: SH
  • Loosen the timing belt tensioner.

Important: Do not rotate the crankshaft if the camshaft are not locked in place with 1-2 and 3-4 camshaft locks, J 42069 and J42069-2 .

Important: Do not rotate the camshafts unless the crankshaft is at 60 degrees BTDC or valves may contact crankshaft.

• Remove the timing belt.
  • Inspection

Object Number: 894885  Size: SH

Important: Failure to follow the described timing belt inspection and maintenance may result in a broken timing belt and cause severe engine damage.

1. When checking the condition of the timing belt, inspect for the following conditions and possible causes:
      Tooth is broken and/or tooth root is cracked -- Camshaft jamming, damaged camshaft/crankshaft oil seal and/or coolant leak, old age, tensioner not functioning properly.
      Back surface of the belt is cracked/worn/scratched/scored -- Excessive cold starts, tensioner jamming, overheated engine, interference with the belt cover.
      Side of belt surface is worn -- Improper installation of belt, overload or misalignment of cam drive components, tensioner jamming, heavy thrust loading against idler guide flanges, damaged idler guide.
      Teeth are worn -- Poor belt cover sealing, excessive belt tension, tension jamming, rough and/or scored cam sprockets.
      Clean break across fibers -- Kinked belt before or during assembly, foreign material under the belt.
      Oil/coolant impregnated and/or swollen belt -- Poor oil sealing, coolant leak at pump, poor belt cover seal.

Object Number: 894874  Size: SH
    2. Check that the tensioner turns smoothly and that no binding occurs in the bearing.

Installation Procedure

1. Remove the crankshaft locking tool. This will ease installation of the timing belt.
      Object Number: 897667  Size: SH

Important: With the camshaft locks installed, verify the distance between camshaft sprockets with the green test belt located in the J 42069 .

2. Start at #1 and #2 camshaft sprockets, route belt around #1 and #2 sprockets while aligning belt marks to the marks on the sprockets and the rear cover.
    3. Install the belt around the timing belt tensioner.
    4. Route the belt around the upper idler pulley.
    5. Route the belt around #3 and #4 camshaft sprockets while aligning the belt marks to the marks on the sprockets and the rear cover.
    6. Route the belt around the crankshaft hub sprockets while aligning the marks on the belt to the marks on the sprockets and the rear cover.
      Object Number: 894212  Size: MF
    7. Install the J42069-30 to lock the timing belt onto the crankshaft hub sprocket.
      Object Number: 894234  Size: SH
    8. With the belt firmly engaged on the crankshaft hub, carefully rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to get the belt slack on the lower idler pulley side.
    9. Route the belt around the lower idler pulley.
      Object Number: 894223  Size: SH
    10. Remove the J42069-30.
      Object Number: 894207  Size: SH
    11. Install the J42069-2 and tighten the lever arm to the water pump pulley flange.
      Object Number: 894242  Size: SH
    12. Perform the following in sequence:
      12.1. Install the camshaft checking gauge to cams 3 and 4 and verify alignment marks are within 2 mm (0.08 in) of each other.
      12.2. Install 3 and 4 camshaft lock, if properly aligned.
      12.3. Install the camshaft checking gauge to cams 1 and 2.

Object Number: 894239  Size: SH
      12.4. Rotate the #1 camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to remove the slack between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 cams.

Important: Ensure that the camshaft timing marks are to the left (retard) side of the checking gauge.

12.5. Rotate the upper idler pulley counterclockwise until the marks are properly aligned within 2 mm (0.08 in) of each other.
      12.6. Install 1 and 2 camshaft lock, when properly aligned.

Tighten
      Tighten the upper pulley bolt to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 895597  Size: SH
    13. Adjust the timing belt tensioner so that the center alignment mark is about 3 mm (1/8 in) above the alignment mark on the spring loaded idler.
      Object Number: 894234  Size: SH
    14. Remove 1-2 and 3-4 camshaft locks, J 42069 and J42069-2.
    15. Remove the J42069-10.

Important: If TDC is passed, do not rotate crankshaft counterclockwise. This will not allow proper slack to be taken up between the timing belt tensioner and the crankshaft sprocket. To correct, rotate the crankshaft an additional two turns.

16. Rotate the crankshaft 1 3/4 turns clockwise, install J42069-10, and then stop at TDC.
      Object Number: 894241  Size: SH

Important: Timing marks on the timing belt are used for initial installation only.

Important: If the timing marks are off, repeat the procedures to readjust. Removal of the timing belt is not necessary.

17. Tighten the lever arm to the water pump pulley flange.
    18. Recheck both pairs of the camshaft timing marks using the J42069-20 .
      Object Number: 895597  Size: SH
    19. Adjust the timing belt tensioner to that the center alignment mark is about 3 mm (1/8 in) above the alignment mark on the spring loaded idler.
    20. Tighten the timing belt tensioner.

Tighten
      Tighten the timing belt tensioner fastening nut to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

21. Verify the timing marks are still aligned.
    22. Remove the J42069-10 and J42069-20.
    23. Install the timing belt front cover. Refer to Timing Belt Cover Replacement-Front.
    24. Connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
      Tighten the battery terminal bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

Sorry but I have this detailed onfo but not the tool kit to perform it this way. I just realy need to know if the crank XXXXX XXXXXned up at 6 oclock and the cam marks line up to the backing plate does the #1 piston need to be at the top of the cylinder "firing possition"?
    yes, the #1 piston does need to be at TDC
    I need one more thing from you. 1 thru 6 cylinder location?
    The odd cylinders are on the back head from front to back 1,3,5. The even are in the front 2,4,6
    AMMaxey
    AMMaxey, Saturn Technician
    AMMaxey
    AMMaxey
    AMMaxey, Saturn Technician