George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

2001 Saturn: temperature gauge..gauge reads..a faulty gauge

Customer Question

2001 Saturn temperature gauge reads in the red before starting the engine (switch turned to where gauges register). Is this a faulty gauge, if so how much does it cost to replace it?
Category: Saturn
Expert:  Carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me which model your Saturn is and also what engine is in it?

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SL 1 - I am not sure about the engine, it would be the base model engine for an SL 1

The SL1 has the 1.9 liter single overhead cam engine.

My next question to you is, Is the check engine light on?

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, but the car runs well - the coolant seems to be flowing and not over heating

Sorry for the delay, something had gone wrong with my connection...

Before I go and tell you that the dash is failing, I'd really like to know what codes are in the computer. It is possible that the dash itself is the cause but the dash is controlled by the body control computer.

What I am getting at is that there maybe a code in the computer for a sensor failure that would cause the gauge to read inaccurately.

Does the gauge go all the way down when the key is off?

Do you have any local parts stores that advertise free reading of your check engine light that you could have your car scanned at?

Please let me know....Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The gauge does go all the way down when the key is off.

we do have parts store that read check engines lights for free

If I can get you to have your computer scanned, We may be able to get closer to the end diagnosis of your problem.

We will only be able to go so far though before I will need to have a shop perform the final steps.

The problem is that in order to confirm the dash failure(if that is the case) the body control module will need to be scanned...

This is also the reason that I have not sent this over to you as an answer, I fear that the end answer my need to come from a shop that can scan the body module..

What I am looking for in the scan that the parts store perform is to know if there is a code for engine coolant temp readings incorrect....

Please let me know what you find out...

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We will send the codes tomorrow, thanks

No problem, have a good night...

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Code is PO410

For the first time in 5 days the temperature gauge read normal upon starting the engine. After about 10 minutes it climbed to a little past half-way, but not into the red. This is where it remained throughout the trip. In addition to having the codes scanned, we had a mechanic read the block temperature which was @160 degrees after @25 minutes of start/stop driving.

The p0410 code is for the air injection system. As far as the coolant temp. 160 seems pretty low for 25min worth of driving. It sounds like you may have a coolant sensor that is on is way out...I don't understand why it is all of the sudden working?

Do you know if he had cleared the diagnostic codes out of the computer?

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The diagnostic codes were not cleared. We replaced the sensor a few days ago and the gauge continued to read in the red until this morning.

I guess that I don't have a great answer to whats going on. Possibly a poor connection somewhere...

I can release your question to see if anyone else may have a idea as to what may be going on or we can wait to see if the problem reoccurs..

Please let me know what you'd like to do....

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX see what it does over the next few days.

Just let me know when I'm needed....

Thanks, Carguyjosh