Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

What are the symptoms of a bad Pressure Control Solenoid

Customer Question
? In a...
What are the symptoms of a bad Pressure Control Solenoid ? In a 2003 Saturn L200.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
10/1/2009
Saturn Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
HelloCustomer if there is a problem with this solenoid it can cause anything from just a check engine light to a problem with the transmission slipping in every gear to no movement in the transmission at all. If you need more information let me know.,
It's not what I would call a slip....more like a buck or jerk...when I put it into drive....no engine light has come on. There is a very high pitched whine on the driver's side somewhere behind the dash. The whine goes away once the engine warms up. If I drive it after the initial jerk when it goes into drive...it continues to buck everytime the car changes gears. I pretty much have to turn the engine off and wait a few minutes then try again to get it to stop.

Saturn told me it was the engine mounts....so I had them replaced ($300.00) but 2 hours later the bucking started again and has been on again off again all of September.
Okay, and when you feel the bucking does the vehicle feel like the transmission is trying to shift gears or does it seem to chift gears fine?
It shifts gears but it's a really hard shift. It's like when you are driving in a standard trans car....and you pop the clutch? When I say it jerks or bucks....it actually causes my head to go back into the headrest...like when a car hits you from behind. It can go days without doing this.....I never know when it is going to happen.
Okay, this can be the solenoid or it can even be a dirty mass air flow sensor. If this sensor detects that you are accelerating quickly this will happen.
This happens when I am at a stand still. I start the engine in PARK, shift down to drive, and immediately BAM...same thing when I put it back in park to turn off the engine. If I drive with it like that, it hard shifts every time it changes gears. I have discovered that if I just sit there and start and stop in my driveway a few times, it finally stops bucking and then I can drive. I guess I will give Saturn one more chance....and have them run a diagnostic. I feel like I wasted $300.00 on those motor mounts.
Okay. It does sounds like there is a problem in the transmission. I would ask the dealer to give you some sort of credit towards the new work since the mounts did not solve the problem. THis may be as simple as debris caught in the valve body.
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician