Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

How do you loosen the radiator drain plug on a 2007 saturn ion?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
9/26/2009
Saturn Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

if your fingers cant do it gently use a pair of pliers

Draining and Filling Cooling System (Static Fill)
Notes

Draining and Filling Cooling System (2.2L (L61), 2.4L (LE5) Static Fill)

Draining Procedure

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

1. Remove the surge tank cap.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Place a drain pan under the right side lower radiator mount.

1. Open the radiator drain cock.
  2. Drain the cooling system.

1. If a complete block drain is required, place a drain pan under the water pump drain.
  2. Remove the water pump drain plug (1).
  3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Inspect the appearance of the engine coolant for discoloration:
    • Discolored-Follow the flush procedure.
    • Normal in appearance-Follow the filling procedure.

Filling Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

1. Close the radiator drain cock by hand.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Install the water pump drain plug (1) if removed during the draining process. Tighten the plug to 22 N.m (16 lb in).
  2. Lower the vehicle. Important: Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean, drinkable water. It is necessary to maintain the coolant level near the cold fill line on the surge tank to insure all the air has been purged from the cooling system.
  3. Slowly add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and deionized water to the cooling system until the coolant level reaches and maintains slightly above the cold fill line on the surge tank.

1. Install surge tank cap.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM for 3 minutes.
  4. Allow the engine to idle for 30 seconds.
  5. Shut the engine off.
  6. Top off the coolant as necessary.
  7. Inspect the cooling system for leaks.
  8. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

I've tried pliers and it won't pop loose. I'm afraid I am going to break it.
it may be seized tap on it litely it may shock it and try with the pliers
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy