Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1994 saturn coupe and my coolant fan is not worki…

I have a 1994 saturn...
I have a 1994 saturn coupe and my coolant fan is not working
8/9/2009
Saturn Mechanic: Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech replied 13 years ago
Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech

HelloCustomer/p>

I can assist you with that question.

Have you performed any testing, and do you have access to a 12 volt test light?

yes, The terminal 86 on my coolant relay doesn't ground, if I jump a ground wire to 86 terminal on the relay it will run, or if I jump the A and B pin on the ALDL it will also run. I change the coolant sensor on head.   
OK-I am in the middle of assisting another customer with an electrical problem, so please bear with me, I will be back to assist you when I give him some tests to run.
thanks
I am going to send a wiring diagram of the cooling system, so we are both working with the same information.It is actually a diagram of the AC system, but it shows the cooling fan circuits we need to check on the bottom of the diagram.graphicgraphic
Does the car run hot, or you just don't ever see the fans on? And what about during AC use-does the fan come on then
I got the diagram
Wel, you've actually done most of the testing-the PCM supplies th controlling ground to the relay, and if the fan runs with the A/B terminals in the ALDL jumped, that proves that the driver's in the PCM are OK.If you disconnect the temperature sensor, does th fan come on?
no
Try jumping the pins in the coolant temperature sensor(telling the computer that the engine is as hot as th sensor will go) and see if it comes on.
no i jump the two wire sensor to gether no fan
Do you have a multimeter? We need to verify the integrity of the coolant temperature wires at the PCM.
yes

Ok

I am going to send diagrams of the PCM wiring. With the PCM harness disconnected, we need to check the circuits, and the best way is to load the circuit. At my work, I use an old headlamp, and adapt it to the connector of the circuit I want to check. As a second resort, ohm the wires out from the PCM to the connector harness.

Do you have the single or dual-cam engine?

dual cam also could you give me the location of the pcm
Sure thing.Is the 8th digit of the VIN number a 7 or a 9?
7

Disconnect the coolant temperature sensor, and make sure there is 5 volts (or real close to it) on the yellow wire. Voltage drop the grey wire, and it should have no more than 500 millivolts drop on the ground. If those two tests are ok, then verify the integrity of the wiring to the PCM.

If you still have the old sensor, check the ohm value. Hook it up to the wiring, and with the PCM connector(s) disconnected, check the appropriate wires for close to the same ohms. graphicgraphic

The resistance of the sensor DECREASES as the temperature increases, ad at177 ohms the temperature it reads is about 212F. The fan doesn't get turned on until about 225-230, so if you can heat the sensor up while monitering that resistance and get it to lower than that, then the fan signal should be sent to the relay from the PCM.

As far as the PCM connectors go, there as 3 connectors, and each row of connectors of connector 1 are designated A and B, connector 2 are C and D, and the 3rd connector are E and F. So the cooling fan control signal wire is the 3rd pin in row A, so its designated A3, a dark green wire(dk grn) wire with a white (wht) tracer, or dk grn-wht

The coolant sensor wires are in one connector, C3 is the signal back to the computer on a GRY or BLK wire and the 5 volt reference is a YEL wire in C12.

So there should be no ground signal from pin A3 until the temperture sensor resistance drops below 177 ohms. At 190F, that resistance is about 240 ohms.

If possible, heat the sensor up with an external source to see if you can get the PCM to send that signal. Verify the integrity of the dk grn-wht wire to the relay, also.

Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech
could tell me ware the pcm is on that saturn 1994 sc 8th vin is 7
The PCM is under the left side of the instrument panel.graphic
Mr. EdC
Mr. EdC, ASE Mastertech
Mr. Edc I have another q about this 1994 saturn, I'm thinking that my pcm is bad. I took a jumper wire and jump between pin c3 and c12 and I did'nt get a ground singal from A3 that gose to the fan relay I did check to make sure I had 5volt from C12 first.

Also I have a code 26 in the pcm could tell me more about the code

To be honest, I feel its more of an issue with the coolant temperature sensor circuit, since the fan runs when A & B are jumped in the ALDL. At this point, you really need to see what the PCM is seeing when that sensor harness is disconnected and when its jumped together. IF the PCM is actually seeing that the emperature goes to -40F with the connector disconnected, and shows full hot with it jumped, then that would almost have to be the program in te PCM not kicking the fan on.

There is another fairly easy fix, for kicking the fan on using the engine temperature. Most of the aftermarket electric fan makers have a kit with a sensor that straps onto the radiator hose or t-stat housing, and can be used to supply the ground to th relay, instead of waiting for the PCM to. The drawback here is that it doesn't allow for kicking the fan on when the AC head pressures get too high.

last q could u explain what code 26 is if it can be diagnose or is it the pcm I also have this code