john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european
6149662

my key will not go into the ignition after just driving it

my key will not go into the ignition after just driving it successfully just an hour ago- and the steering wheel is locked
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
year make and model?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Saturn Vue 2003, dorve to work this morning, everything was fine, igition worked normal... went out to my car to run an errand just short time later and the key will not go into the ignition at all- and I tried to turn the steering wheel while I tried to put the key in, but that only locked the steering wheel, still could not get the key in at all

There is a tech service bulletin it sstatets tolube the lock cylinder. If this does not work ignition cylinder replacement would be required

Ignition - Ignition Lock Cylinder is Hard To Turn/Binds
Notes

Bulletin No.: 06-02-35-016C

Date: October 02, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Ignition Lock Cylinder is Hard to Turn or Binds (Clean and Lubricate Ignition Lock Cylinder/Housing)

Models:
2005-2006 Chevrolet Equinox
2006 Pontiac Torrent
2003-2007 Saturn VUE

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the lubrication information by adding steps and photos. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-35-016B (Section 02 - Steering Wheel and Column).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ignition lock cylinder intermittently sticks or binds.

Cause

A lack of lubrication may cause adjoining metal surfaces to wear, resulting in a significant amount of powder (black in color) to form in the ignition cylinder case housing.

Correction

If the following lubrication procedure was already performed on this vehicle, contact Technical Assistance (TAC).

Remove the ignition lock cylinder, clean the ignition lock cylinder and case housing. Then lubricate the ignition lock cylinder tip and case using the procedure below.

You must use two different GM lubricants as outlined in this procedure.

Remove the battery cover and disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement in SI.

Tip

Use a shop cloth wrapped around a screwdriver to aid in cleaning the inside of the ignition case housing (1).

Wet a shop cloth with GM Brake Cleaner, P/N 12378392 (in Canada, 88901247), or equivalent and wipe out the inside of the ignition cylinder case housing (1).

The actuator blade inside the ignition cylinder case housing must be in the ACC position in order to install the ignition lock cylinder as shown in the above illustration.

Inspect the position of the actuator blade inside the ignition cylinder case housing. If the actuator blade rotated when cleaning the ignition cylinder case housing, then reposition the actuator blade to the ACC position using needle nose pliers.

Wet a shop cloth with GM Brake Cleaner, P/N 12378392 (in Canada, 88901247), or equivalent and clean the outside case (1) and the tip (2) of the ignition lock cylinder.

Use the tube of GM Super Lube(R) with PTF, P/N 12371287 for U.S. (10953437 in Canada) as shown in the above illustration.

Lightly coat the tail end (1), the two tabs (2), and the shaft of the ignition lock cylinder with GM Super Lube(R) with PTFE, P/N 12371287 for U.S. (10953437 in Canada).

Lightly coat the entire outside case (1) of the ignition lock cylinder with GM Multi-Purpose Lubricant, P/N 89021668 for U.S. (89021674 in Canada).

The ignition key must be installed in the ignition lock cylinder before installing the cylinder into the housing.

Install the ignition lock cylinder assembly into the ignition cylinder case housing. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement in SI.

Connect the negative battery cable and install the battery cover.

Verify that the customer's condition is fixed.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is not like the key is hard to turn or that it is tight to get the key in there- it is that there is a piece of metal, a metal part, in there that I can see plainly that is blocking the key from going in at all

Then the key cylinder is internally broken and would require replacement

REMOVAL

1. Disable SIR system. (Refer to "SIR Disable/Enable Procedure (For Frontal and Curtain Inflators)".
  2. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  3. Remove lock cylinder bezel from steering column shroud by carefully prying with thin blade screwdriver.

1. Remove shroud fasteners and remove steering column upper and lower shroud panels.
  2. Insert key into ignition lock cylinder and rotate to RUN position. Then rotate ignition cylinder back to ACC position.

1. Depress locking button on side of ignition module assembly with a thin pick-type tool. Slide lock cylinder assembly from ignition module.

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT: Actuator blade within ignition module housing must be in ACC position to install lock cylinder assembly. If rotated, replace it to ACC position, using needle nose pliers.

1. Insert key into ignition lock cylinder and install into ignition module.

1. Install steering column upper and lower shrouds and shroud fasteners.
  2. Install lock cylinder bezel.
  3. Connect negative battery cable.
  4. Enable the SIR system. (Refer to "SIR Disable/Enable Procedure (For Frontal and Curtain Inflators)".

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder
Ignition Lock Cylinder15841209$60.47Notes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your help- I can't understand why it would work perfectly this morning, and then an hour later be broken, just by sitting in the parking lot.