Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Saturn l300: It is started, but will not shift out of park

Customer Question
My sister has a Saturn...
My sister has a Saturn l100 and she can not get the car in gear. It is started, but will not shift out of park. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Saturn
5/20/2009
Saturn Mechanic: Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

What year is it?

Do the brake lights come on when the brake pedal is depressed?

Did you check the fuses?

It is an '02, and she is checking to see if the brake lights come on.
Okay, she should hear a clicking in the shifter housing when stepping on the brake with the key on.

She says that the power locks have been getting slower and slower everytime that she starts the car. Now she says that it is not working at all, and she has been having a tough time getting it to shift. Does that sound like a fuse issue?

It could be. What I do with any electrical concern is check all of the fuses first. You may want to start with the ones in the under hood fuse panel.

graphic

Also, the little actuator rod that allows it to move out of park may be sticking. That is why you will want to see if there is a clicking sound from it when the brakes are applied.
Super mechanic
Super mechanic