Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have tailpipe smoke and a little rattling noise on the…

Customer Question
I have white tailpipe...

I have white tailpipe smoke and a little rattling noise on the passenger side engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It just started. I think it maybe the head gasket and timing belt .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saab?

2001 95

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t tried anything yet . I stopped drinking it .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s pretty much the only problem

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Saab
3/30/2018
Saab Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Have you noticed the coolant level going down?

Have you noticed a power loss?

No coolant leaks no loss of power

This tailpipe smoke is it only there at startup or all the time?

When it first starts up it’s thick but then it stops , but starts when I accelerate.

Have you smelled the smoke at startup to see if there is an oil or fuel odor?

There’s no type of smell .

White smoke normally does mean coolant.

Often coolant smoke has no odor.

However, you are not losing any coolant.

So let's do a compression test and coolant leak down test to confirm it is or is not coolant leaking into the cylinder through the head gasket.

I do not have enough proof to assume it is fuel or oil causing the smoke. Removing the spark plugs and comparing there tips will also tell you which cylinder has the issue. Anything other than a light tan color is not good.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris