Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Coolant level low warning comes on when engine reaches

Coolant level low warning...

Coolant level low warning comes on when engine reaches temperature.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

85000, no changes. Coolant is not leaking. Cleaned reservoir but still have problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saab?

2006 Aero 9-3 turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Working with a mechanic. Removed coolant reserve tank. Cleaned it. Checked temperature sensor looked good. Noted the rattle which we guessed is the level float. But there is no electrical connections to the float on the tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm wondering if replacing the tank is the next step or is there a problem outside the tank in the warning light system. The fact that the wanring only comes on after the engine reaches temperature suggests that the problem is not with the float in the tank.

3/26/2018
Dan, Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The sensor on bottom of tank detects the float. So if float isn't floating that would be the problem meaning reservoir needs to be replaced. If float is floating then you need to replace the coolant level sensor which is built into tank. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

I understand you are saying the reservoir needs to be replaced in any case.
So why does the warning only come on when the coolant is hot -- several minutes after the engine is started?

Heat can effect ailing electrical components so I'd imagine the heat is the main issue. You can unplug sensor and jump wires together, if light shuts off this proves reservoir is problem. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

The only electrical connection to the reservoir is to what appears to be a thermocouple contained in a tubular compartment separate from the coolant. Is this related to the float -- the float which I'm guessing is the level sensor.

Give me a minute and I'll try to find a picture.

That's not the reservoir on my 9-3. The reservoir on mine is gray black with a yellow cap. Can't see into it. The three coolant connections are located differently from the one in your picture. The electrical connector looks different too. We were quoted $169 for a replacement reservoir!

Is there a electrical connector on your coolant reservoir?

Nevermind, I see you said it does. You can buy a OEM replacement from following website for $50. The part number is(###) ###-#### Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

http://www.saabusaparts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=9202200

near the bottom is the only electrical connection. The wiring has only two conductors. It connects to a removable plastic support that is about 1.5 inches long that supports a thermocouple that extends into a tubular molding that is sealed off from the coolant and normally just is filled with air.

You can buy a OEM replacement from following website for $50. The part number is(###) ###-#### Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

Did you have the V6 engine?

Sorry I indicated the engine is the turbo but didn't say it was a V-6. That probably means a different reservoir.

You are correct, I probably should have asked. Sorry about the confusion.

The part number is ***** and here is a link to buy.

-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/93197033-9202799-Dorman-Coolant-Reservoir-New-Saab-9-3-2006-2009-603-376/122567336162?epid=21017009027&hash=item1c899520e2:g:qlwAAOSw7t5as2n-&vxp=mtr

Okay! That's the correct part. Still don't understand what is causing the problem or how the level sensor actually sends a signal out. I suppose the float could have a leak and be partially filled with fluid such that after pressure builds up in the coolant system it sinks indicating low fluid level. Guess we will just replace the reservoir and hope that that resolves the problem. Thank you for your patience!

No problem, I'm happy to help. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Dan, Mechanic