Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought a 92 Saab 900 non T with auto several years ago…

I bought a 92...

I bought a 92 Saab 900 non T with auto several years ago with trans trouble because it is perfect otherwise. Never driven it and tired of storing it. The trans pulls nice in reverse but nothing forward. Going in circles in reverse is getting old. Owned many and still have 4- 900,s. I have a good spare and wonder if I could get lucky changing the valve body?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Tires???? I have tranny problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 900 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed fluid, didn't help

3/27/2018
350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd agree that replacing the valve body may do the trick but before doing that I'd check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

the other possibility is the filter screen inside the sump is choked up and so the internal oil pump cannot generate any pressure. so removing the sump and cleaning out the screen is also wise

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Cable moves freely. Park and reverse are as they should be. I said I changed the fluid. Dropped thepan andchanged, checked screens. My experience with other makes with a worn seal in the trans is once it worms up it will engage. Didn't know if same would be true on Saabs.

Saab use the same transmission as GM / vauxhall

I'd say a new vlave body or recon one is the next step

350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons