Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 9-5 has been cutting off occasionally, but starts…

My 2006 9-5 has...

My 2006 9-5 has been cutting off occasionally, but starts back up. Then I stopped after driving about 1/4 mile turn off engine go into a store less than 5 minutes and car would not start. Try later 30 or so and it starts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No, had new battery less than a month ago. Had service at Saab with complaint of radio light and head light staying on when I turn engine off. Saab service say problem was in ignition so the ignition was cleaned out. Said if that didn't suffice, I might need a $700+ new ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am using Saab dealership service. Just wanted to no if ignition could possibly be the problem from description before I go back to Saab.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, those a temporary break down. I haven't checked today, but plan to go to Saab service today.re the symptoms, the car started yesterday, haven driven since first

3/15/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

The three possibilities would be a loss of fuel pressure, loss of ignition or the security system is trying to activate. I'm certain that your dealer will find which it is.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Ok, I have not been able to use my key remote to activate the security. I just lock the door with the key. Do I need to have the remote to activate security? Thank you for your help.
I am not a mechanic, all I need is advice. Thank you.

You're welcome.

You should have that option, yes. I's possible that the security system is the problem then. Br sure to let your dealer know what you just told me too.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you have any more questions later on.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Thank you for your diagnosis of my Saab 9-5 problem. Just wanted to let you now that you helped me a lot with my car issues. I decided to eliminate each possible reason one at a time starting with the security trying to activate. I had my remote control checked and updated. The odd thing is, that I had 2 keys. I bought my 2006 Saab 9-5 in 2008 pre-certified. One key remote did not work. But when I went to Saab service today that unworkable key worked. The car started easily with no signs of problems, I stopped at the store, it easily started back up, but when I drove about 1/2 miles to home, it doesn't start. So back to Saab for further assessment.

Thanks for this update, let me know if I can be of any more help to you.