Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I'm just doing some research in regards to my 2006 9-3 2.0T.

Hi! I'm just doing...

Hi! I'm just doing some research in regards ***** ***** 2006 9-3 2.0T. It has been unable to start and I've tried a few things and am out of ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

The headlights flashed once but I haven't seen any activity since so I'm going to say no. Battery is not fully charged, it is about 80%, I charged it yesterday and have yet to try it in the car. However I did put another battery from my friend's car into the Saab to test it out and it also didn't do anything The problem started a couple of days ago, I went to start it and it said the steering wheel was locked and no matter what way I turned the steering wheel the remote wouldn't get past the lock position. I left it alone for a day and then tried taking out the fuses for both the steering wheel lock and ignition, along with the ignition relay in the engine bay, and now I get no electronic response from the interface in the car. Doors unlock and lock, reading lights work, but nothing on the dash works and the click from the steering wheel locking/unlocking is gone.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes sadly, I'm a college student so my money and resources are extremely limited. I've tried the following: moving the steering wheel to remove the lock on it, taking out the battery and trying to start with another battery, taking out fuses and putting them back in, kick start (used the yellow lever under the gear shift to put it in neutral, then was pushed down a hill in the car to try and get it to start, to no avail), and right now I'm researching everywhere I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, for the past couple of weeks I had been having a similar problem here and there. I would try to start or turn the car off and the key would be stuck in either lock or on, but just a bit of steering wheel adjustment always fixed it. This is the first time this has happened

3/12/2018
350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This sounds like the immobilizer is being at bit over zealous,

1st try disconnecting the main battery and resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

then insert the key and press the unlock button on the remote for about 40 sec whilst it is in the ignition

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons