Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 SAAB 9-3 convertable. we opened the top and…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 SAAB 9-3 convertable. we opened the top and then it would not close. There was hydraulic fluid everywhere on the rear drivers side. The motor is newer (2 years) and I can hear it hum When we went to close it it did not close all the way. We manually guided the part that opens to let the soft top in, (not sure what it's called) closed in order to get it home. the back of the soft top is not fully closed and the front is not latched. The trunk will not open until the top is closed. I'm getting all kinds of errors including a air bag malfunction. Not sure how to get the top open for access to the hydraulic cylinders.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

On what?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have the back seat and fully removed trying to gain access to the trunk

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Saab
Answered in 5 days by:
3/15/2018
Saab Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

It sounds like a hydraulic line or component is leaking which is causing the top issue and the fluid may have leaked onto electronics damaging them needing to be replaced as well.This may require a dealer or repair center to manually open the top to access the leak to then repair the leak and locate any electronics that have fluid in them needing to be replaced as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician