Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When driving the car, dash alerts start firing off: Airbag…

Customer Question
When driving the car...

When driving the car, dash alerts start firing off: Airbag malfuntion, antilock break malfunction, traction control failure, stability control failure, break malfunction - battery not charging properly, come to a safe stop. When I stop the vehicle it won't start back up, but when it sits for a few hours, it starts back up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I just put a brand new batter in it 2 days ago. It is a 2011 with only 60,000 miles, all terminal connections look perfect

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Saab?

93

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

If it's something simple, I'd like to fix myself. I checked all spark plugs and used a "Fixd" device to see if it would give me some errors, but the Fixd device isn't anygood

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a rear break light out message, not sure if that could throw my entire system out of wack.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Saab
3/8/2018
Saab Mechanic: Piotr, Saab Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Piotr
Piotr, Saab Mechanic

Hello, do you have any voltage meters ? you have to check charging voltage first, if alternator is charging around 14.4V on idle, failing alternator will cause all of your problems

I don't have a voltage meter, but I think my neighbor does. I assume I check on the battery?I used a Fixd device and the batter was ready at 10v when the car is shut off.

that is way below what it supposed to be, you have to check it while engine running, fixd should show you charging voltage. but putting meter on battery will do the trick, so far it looks like a bad alternator, just check voltage to confirm,

Could spark plugs or a bad wire somewhere be the cause?
Saab Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
This isn't going to be an ignition problem, no.Here is a video I made for my YouTube channel which will describe how to test this with a voltmeter, and how to repair it. You can buy a voltmeter for like 10 dollars numerous places.What's happening is that as you're driving the alternator is heating up and it's only putting out enough volts to run the vehicle, but not to charge the battery as you drive, and as the battery voltage drops, systems aren't getting proper voltage and that's throwing the sensor values that they are getting off, and throwing faults.Check out the video below, if you do have a faulty charge harness you may be able to replace it and get away without doing the alternator for now. However, the couple times I was able to do that, the alternator did eventually fail on the customer in the long run, so I would honestly just do the alternator and charge harness now.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please remember to hit accept next to MY name, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time. You can still ask follow up questions to this after hitting accept. If you have further questions please let me know.https://youtu.be/fDdgs5bqzZg
My car is a SAAB and not a Volkswagon.
I know your cars are stopping out of Volkswagen I've worked on Plenty of saab's it's European it's still has a Bosch or Valeo brand alternator in it just like a Volkswagen. Automotive manufacturers are assemblers they make very few of the parts that are on their vehicle they specify the parts and the parts are manufactured by other companies about the only thing on your side that they manufacture themselves is the engine and the interior, nearly all the other components are made by other companies and share probably 80% of their content with all of the other European vehicles.My answer is correct, your Saab still conforms to Ohms law, and the failure you describe is extremely common on the vast majority of vehicles, whether they're VW, Saab, or Ford.I'll add you to the video because it shows you how to test the issue and diagnosing is still completely applicable to your vehicle.