Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The warning lights with the engine shape and the gear shape…

Customer Question
The warning lights with...

The warning lights with the engine shape and the gear shape come on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

On the dash one looks like and engine and the other like a gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saab?

2001 9-3 convertible 2 L turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

If you dis-connect the battery for a while the lights go out and the car drives normally for a while

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Saab
11/23/2017
Saab Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 5 months ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
do you have access to a scan tool?

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
I have it booked in for Monday to read the codes. In looking at various SAAB sites it looks likely that a gearbox sensor or a computer upgrade solve this problem?

very possible but trouble codes are the key to solving

john aka eauto
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy