Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

The shift knob will stay stuck on Park from time to time.

Customer Question
The solenoid that unlocks it...
The shift knob will stay stuck on Park from time to time. The solenoid that unlocks it when the brake pedal is applied seem to be working fine (I hear it and feel it on the knob). Last night was the first time that it would not move out of Park position for more than 5 minutes. I was wondering what other things I should look into.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Saab
10/14/2017
Saab Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

The 2 most common causes are the brake switch(which the signal from it to the shift interlock solenoid can be bad even though the brake lights work) and the shift interlock solenoid

When it will not shift out of park, you need to check the interlock solenoid for voltage. If absent, check the wiring at the brake switch for loose connection or being chafed and if ok, replace the brake switch. If voltage is present at the interlock solenoid, then it is an intermittent fault in the solenoid and you need to replace it

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your reply.
Can you please guide me on how to check for voltage and the right voltage amount on the interlock solenoid? My car has a brake pedal light next to the PRND letters that turns off when I press the brake pedal. Here is a link with diagrams but I'm not sure what else to look for.
https://www.jimellissaabparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=408488&ukey_make=1032&ukey_model=14674&modelYear=2006&searchString=shift%20gear

HI,

Ok, I need to get the 17 digit vin number to pull the schematics to tell you which wire to check

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vin # is YS3FH41U261020760

HI,

Sorry, I will have to opt out as I dont have schematics for this one

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. thanks.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager