Mark N
Mark N, Saab Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience on all models of Saabs!
22700663

2004 Saab 9-3 arc convertible: I installed a New Power

Customer Question

2004 Saab 9-3 arc convertible:
I installed a New Power Steering Pump, power steering fluid is now going into the engine oil.
Pump warrantied so got a second one still power steering fluid is leaving reservoir and engine oil rises. No fluid in rack and pinion boots, power steering works for less than a minute, no external leaks apparent.
Old pump was working fine but engine oil was leaking on side of engine and into power steering reservoir. Can not think of what I could be doing to cause this it seemed like a pretty simple switch. I changed the water pump a few years ago so I do have some skill. ( the ecotec engines are know for that too I'm told, its leaking again but that's another story)
Category: Saab
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, the camshaft is what drives the pump and there is a seal and an o ring that leaks all of the time. Since the cam shaft is lubricated by engine oil when the seal or o ring goes bad, oil gets into the power steering fluid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am aware of the problem with ecotec engines but this seems to be unique in that I'm quickly losing power steering fluid into the engine oil. As I mentioned I have brand new seals one that I installed between new pump and engine the other already on new pump around the input shaft. Am I also suppose to put a "O" ring on said shaft?

ok, i will open this up to others who may be more familiar with the repair.