peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a key fob (uses twice module) that cranks the car but

Customer Question

I have a key fob (uses twice module) that cranks the car but no longer unlocks and locks the doors. I had a valet key that could lock unlock but couldn't crank the vehicle. Problem is i lost that key and no locksmith can cut a replacement because they have nothing to match it to. They said call the manuafacturer and get the key code but saab aren't made anymore
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: replaced battery still doesn't work but thankfully still cranks car
JA: What is the model/year of your Saab?
Customer: 2003 Saab 9-3
JA: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I order a valet key from a website and they said simply take to a locksmith to have it cut. there are no electronics involved, simply unlocks or locks the door. But no locksmith will do it or can do it because they have no key to use a guide. I cannot locate the key code. I am having a entire key fob programmed today by a shop with the tech 2 tool but I am concerned the electronics in the existing fob are messed up and they won't be able to program the new fob. Of course if the i lose the key fob the point is moot because it is hundreds of dollars to correct
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had a GM dealer check to see if they can obtain the key for this,I would see if they can obtain one to correct this here as sometimes they can.If this was already attempted with no success let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete