Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

I have. 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero. I have a P0118 code. The A/C…

I have. 2006 Saab 9-3...
I have. 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero. I have a P0118 code. The A/C comes on for about 2 minutes then shuts off. I have had the engine coolant temp sensor replaced. When I monitor it's temp, it is good only intermittently, then starts reading -40 C when it should be higher. The temp gauge on the dash reads in the "middle". The car never runs hots. I don't think the A/C compressor is bad because when it works it is ice cold. I read recently that it could be one of the A/C pressure sensors (high or low). The mist irritating thing is that the cooling fans stays on for a few minutes after I turn the car off, which drains the battery. The car runs pretty good. Also, the car may not start initially once every two or three months, after a couple of cranks then it fires up...a bi-product from P0118. The last thing is that last week is that the left vent blows out much colder than the middle and the right. The temp decreases as you move from the left vent (driver side) to the right vent. Can you help?
8/22/2016
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent inspected wiring leading from the temp sensor to the ecu this needs done.If there is a wiring fault this can cause this type of fault here in some cases needing repaired.For the vent issue here this may be that a temp actuator on the heater box is at fault needing replaced.I have seen some of these fail before in the past.This will have to be tested further to be sure this is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you state there may be a wiring fault from the temp sensor to the ECU. Where is the temp sensor located on my vehicle?
You mentioned that the temp actuator could cause the "gradient" I am getting from the left vent to the right vent. Where is the temp actuator located...is this behind the glove box? A guy at an used car dealership told me that my problem may reside behind the glove box...is this where the ECU is located as well? Why is the cooling fan constantly being turned on by the car?
Do you have any troubleshooting tips that I can try to diagnose the problem? I am no means a mechanic, but if it is simple enough I would give it a go. I do know my limits, so I will not make things worse.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool for your model here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only code that was read is P0118. I was informed that the engine coolant temp sensor needed to be replaced. I had that part replaced and the problem continued. There is one certified Saab mechanic shop in my area, but I had a horrific experience with them last time. Before I take it back to them, I want to have a specific plan for diagnosing the problem. The more educated I am than the less likely I'll get taken advantage of. Therefore, the questions I presented in the previous post was for a purpose.

The coolant temp sensor should be located at the front of the engine near the engine oil fill cap as shown in the diagram below with the darker rectangular outline.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbui1k21j5g46f8/co-08-24.gif?dl=0

Check the connection and wiring from this sensor for any issues needing repaired or replaced.

The actuator sounds to be the right side at fault here possibly.It is located under the dash on the passengers side of the heater box as shown as the dark spot in the diagram below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6n2ep8i3dcchhb/te-08-24.gif?dl=0

Your engine control module should be under the engine hood on the firewall area as shown below.If the coolant sensor is o.k. and wiring is o.k. the engine control module can be at fault for the temp sensor code and for the cooling fan fault.These would have to be checked into/tested further with inspection,testing with the correct diagrams and diagnostic test equipment to locate and repair these issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyr6a3n0xwlucnc/cm-08-24.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks you for your help. You are DA MAN!

Your welcome

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician