peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

We have a 2003 93 turbo newer body with plastic fob. The

Customer Question

we have a 2003 93 turbo newer body with plastic fob. The problem has been now a six montg ordeal. I used the car to jump another dead vehicle in jan. After that all attempts to get this car on road have failed. Finally about 2 or 3 months ago i had it towed to local dealer. Problem was i couldnt get key to turn n steering wheel lock to release. Now they said they can get car started but can not get steering wheel yo unlock. They have told me that they can not get car to sync with their tech 2. They assured me that they have all updates
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: They tild me my only option wilk be to pay to have car towed to portland, over 100 miles away to go to saab dealership n that they may not be able to fix either. Im sure it has been tried in both park n neutral. N yes i believe it does gave wheel lock feature.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Saab?
Customer: 93 turbo 2.0
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was at first n finally after doing all i could i towed it to euro shop here.now its sitting at their shop n they cant get it to sync to tech 2. They told me they have no suggestions
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that i replaced battery in car n fob recently
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen in several cases before very similar to this here that when a jump start has occurred it can cause a voltage spike and can short out and damage computers internally causing this issue needing replaced.You may have a faulty PCM on this model causing the issues here as well as the no communication faults.If they dealer had not tried this,disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes to allow all electronics to discharge.Once this is done reconnect the battery and see if it then operates properly.If it does not then this does need diagnosed further to see if you have a damaged PCM or another ECU at fault needing replaced and if the dealer in your area is unable to fully diagnose this then another dealer unfortunately will have to do this for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete