Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

My 2004 9-3, 2.0T ARC starts when the ignition switch is

Customer Question
turned to on and the...
my 2004 9-3, 2.0T ARC starts when the ignition switch is turned to on and the starter keeps running. I have changed the ignition with no success and the relay with no success. I am lost on what makes the solenoid engage at the on position and not tell it to disengage??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saab
3/21/2016
Saab Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Once the stater stays engaged dose it disengage if you remove the starter relay? Try this if you can and let me know the results. I have enclosed the starter circuit diagram in the link below for reference as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/starter%20Mar%2021.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will not be able to test this action until later today. At work now.

No problem, check it when you can and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I started the car(again, it starts in the "on" Position and the starter continually runs). I pulled the Relay (R11) and the engine stopped running. I put the Relay back in and the car started again with the starter continually running.

Are you sure the relay is not hanging on you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have another 04 Aero (2.0T engine) and I put that relay in and it did the same thing. I did not pull the R8 relay. Only the R11.

Well if your sure its not the starter relay relay then something has to be back feeding the starter system .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is my concern. When I pulled the R11, I think that is the ignition relay and the R8 is the Starter relay.

Okay well try pulling R8 relay , if its the starter relay the engine should not stall .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it have any thing to do with the ECM? It was shorting out so I had it rebuilt but they fixed the injectors control. That was where the short was.

Looking at the wiring diagram it dose not show any connection to the ECM so I do not think it would be any part of the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to check the starter relay tonight. Sorry this is so drawn out!

No problem, Im here as long as need be. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last night I started the car, pulled the R8 - Starter Relay and the starter stopped and the engine continued to run.

The neck time the starter stays engage try smacking the relay and see if it is sticking or try replacing it with a known good relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will give it a try this evening.

Okay. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the R8, starter relay with a know working one Na the car still started in the ignition "On" position and the starter kept running.

Something has to be feeding the start circuit if the starter is staying engaged. It going to be a matter of starting at the ignition switch and working you way forward to determine the cause.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a short or something between the ignition and the starter relay?

Yes I would agree with that, if you are able to stop the starter from spinning by removing the relay then something has to be shorted from the ignition to the relay causing the relay is stay engaged. .

Ron, ASE Certified Technician