Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trying to remove a fuse box from engine compartment so I can…

Customer Question
trying to remove a fuse...
trying to remove a fuse box from engine compartment so I can access power steering hose. It's a 1999 Saab 9-3.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saab
I'm hoping you have a picture with arrows. Can't see where it's mounted.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/14/2016
Saab Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Check for any clips or bolts under or around the bottom of the fuse panel that may need removed to then remove it.If you have already checked and none were found let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks for the response. The answer you provided is way too vague. I need specific information about removing the fuse box in a 1999 saab 9-3. Where/how is the fuse box fastened? What tool is required? I will also need a diagram or illustration of the removal.

Unfortunately my info isnt listing how this is removed completely.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete for reposting. Still trying to locate the points where it's fastened
Saab Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Does yours look like this fuse box? it should , just confirming. here is the link, then we will go from there

it does. Your picture shows that it's removed, right? I am at work and won't be home till 5pm PST. But send me info in the meantime.

no, it is not removed in my picture, what are you trying to do? remove the whole box or just the top cover to access fuses?

In my initial question I stated that I am trying to remove the fuse box so that I can access a power steering fluid hose. Not just the fuses I'm trying to move the box so I can get my hand behind it

Ok , I dont work on these that often but have over the years, I cant remember each and every but, I sent a picture and you should see the clip in the top right, then, I am pretty sure it wiggles up and off of the rubber sleeve in the left side of the picture. let me know if this works, go back to the picture I sent and yes,, box is removed to access the lines like at the steering gear

doing my best to try and help, Found this that may help. see link as well

The fuse box is held in place with the plastic nut you mentioned. Besides that, it is somehow stuck on a metal strip (maybe there's another one in the front section).

Report this image

Remove that nut (be careful not to loose it ),

Remove the nut, yes. Lift the weatherstripping nearest to the back arrow in the pic. It lifts right off. You will expose the metal clip and see that it is a simple compression clip. They can be quite a bear to lift off the metal lip and you may need a small prybar. Do NOT attempt to push the fuse box downward. The compression clip will prevent this absolutely. It must be pried upward and off the lip to which it is secured. At the front edge of the box there is a simple plastic guide groove that a tab fits into. It does not really hold anything down, it is merely there to assist in lining everything up on refitting. You can now lift the fuse box and move to one side. You cannot remove it entirely as the harness enters the bottom of the box and each wire is connected to the fuse/relay block.

I'll take another look at my fuse box were you put the arrows. I got the front metal strip loose (left arrow). But the right one is not cooperating. I'm still wondering where the location is of the plastic nut is. Could you send a picture with an arrow to the plastic nut? Thanks.

I did not do the arrows, I am doing my best to try and help by researching some things/information, Unsure what is showing at the bottom of the first picture I sent, right near the black cable I see a rubber cover etc, I am very sorry as not there looking and rare to pull the fuse box so I am sending all the info i can find from my end

Could you or someone else show me a picture with the location of this plastic nut?
You referenced it but where do I find it?
Thanks

I sent a picture , the first one, lower side of the picture you see a cover etc this should be the nut, If you are not there looking, maybe best to get back when you are and take a picture of the box, top view and i can likely help guide you. I will opt out if you prefer , let me know, I am doing all I can to help with this

Good idea. I'll take a picture and send it to you about 5pm PST.

this is fine, take a few, thanks

I had sent this but in the picture you still have not pulled off the rubber weatherstrip so you have not done as I wrote, Please follow this as I had written, Thanks

Lift the weatherstripping . It lifts right off. You will expose the metal clip and see that it is a simple compression clip. They can be quite a bear to lift off the metal lip and you may need a small prybar. Do NOT attempt to push the fuse box downward. The compression clip will prevent this absolutely. It must be pried upward and off the lip to which it is secured.

Just put in a phone call request give me a call just need some help understanding how to pry this thing outt its catching underneath somewhere
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician