Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 SAAB 9-5 Turbo4 with Auto transmission with…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 SAAB...
I have a 2011 SAAB 9-5 Turbo4 with Auto transmission with 74,000 miles and it just began slipping between some shifts. How do you check the transmission fluid level?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saab
3/4/2016
Saab Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

Transmission Fluid Level and Condition Check

Note
The following operation includes 2 procedures:

1. Prefill transmission oil with the engine off after repair work on the transmission, removal and installation/exchange of transmission or axle shafts. After prefilling with the engine off, the transmission oil level must be checked with the engine running.
  2. Check transmission fluid level and correct with engine running.

Inspect

1. Note The fluid level must only be checked in conjunction with the fluid temperature, see diagnostic tool, after performing work or after a loss of fluid and must be corrected if necessary. Ensure that only the correct transmission fluid for AF40 is used for topping up.

Test conditions:

• Vehicle must be on a flat surface.
  • Selector lever in position P.
  • Engine OFF.
  • Connect diagnostic tool.

Delete fault memory.

1. Remove the transmission oil filler plug (1).

1. Note If the transmission fluid is only checked, proceed with step 13.

Note
The rising tube (3) may not be unscrewed to check the oil level. With the fluid check bolt unscrewed, oil flows out of the rising tube to the oil level (6) on the upper edge of the riser tube.

The rising tube must only be unscrewed in order to drain the transmission (1). In this case, the seal (2) on the rising tube must be replaced.

Prefill transmission fluid when changing transmission and after repair work - engine off. Place collecting pan underneath.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Remove the fluid check bolt (5) from the rising tube.
  3. Install NEW O-ring (4).
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Add ATF until it drips out of the riser tube.
  6. Raise the vehicle.
  7. Refer to Fastener Caution.

Install the fluid check bolt and tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb in).

1. Lower the vehicle.
  2. Top up ATf above fluid filler hole.

Top up 0.4 liters ATF and proceed with Step 13.

1. Note Correct checking of the transmission fluid level should be carried out with the engine running at 70-80°C transmission fluid temperature.

Check transmission fluid level and correct with engine running.

1. Start engine and allow to run until the end of the test.
  2. Move through selector lever positions with the foot brake depressed.
    • Switch selector lever from position "P" to "D" and back to "P". Hold each position for at least 2 seconds. Repeat this process twice.
    • Check transmission fluid temperature with diagnostic tool.
    • Raise the vehicle.
    • Remove the fluid check bolt.
    • Drain transmission fluid until it drips out of the rising tube, otherwise add transmission fluid until it drips out of the rising tube.
    • Install the fluid check bolt with NEW O-ring and tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb in).
    • Lower the vehicle.
    • Top up 0.4 liters of ATF
    • Switch off the engine.
  1. Install the transmission