Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My cars electronics, and radio stayed on when I pulled key…

Customer Question
My cars electronics, and radio...
My cars electronics, and radio stayed on when I pulled key out of ignition and opened the door. It's a steering wheel lock malfunction. So I started the car again, turned it to the lock position, pulled key out. Still won't turn off. Took negative battery cable off for 5 or seconds. Put it back on. Now key fob won't unlock the doors or start the car. The key won't leave the lock position. Steering wheel is lose, not locked. What do I need to do to fix this? Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saab
2/24/2016
Saab Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having may be a problem with the Column Integration Module (CIM) and Ignition Switch Module but in order to determine what is failing the first thing your going to need to do is to have the system scanned to see what fault codes are setting. Unfortunately a Tech 2 scanner with Saab software is needed to diagnose and repair this issue. This in most cases means the dealer will need to do the scan for you. If you have access to the scan tool and can get me the fault code and or codes I will try and help you.

is that like a higher end OBD2 scanner? And it needs to have specific Saab software on it? Do you know why now since I took the battery cable off and put it back on, my key fob dont work to unlock the car or even turn the ignition to the on position?

Yes this system requires a Tech 2 scanner which Saab dealer have and also some GM dealers. It sounds like something has lost programming but the only way to know if in fact that is the case you are going to need to start a system scan.

There has got to be a back door way to at least getting power back to the car and fob. It had it before I disconnected the battery.

Unfortunately I do not know of a way. I can open the post back up for you if you would like to see if someone else may have more information for you.

That would be fine with me. Considering Saab is out of business, and it might be hell trying to find that scanner. I called my local GM dealer 4 times yesterday, and I am yet to hear back.

Okay, doing so now, if someone else has something new to offer they will respond.

Ok thank you
Saab Mechanic: Piotr, Saab Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Piotr
Piotr, Saab Mechanic

hi, does cars have a problem with immobilizer control module (CIM) with is integrated with steering column switches assembly , this is something good locksmith or dealership have to fix for you, used parts can be used for repairs but require some electronic repair skills, and dealership will not do it for you or go used parts way. they will want to replace whole module with new ignition keys.

http://www.thesaabsite.com check it out, you can get new cim with keys already programmed for your vehicle