Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My heater fuse keeps blowing, How do I isolate the short?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saab
1/25/2016
Saab Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Service Technician

Are you referring to the Blower Motor (fan) Inside?
Do you have Automatic Climate Control?
If so, there are "5" Fuses for the Climate Control........Which Fuse & where?

.

The Automatic climate panel light goes out, so when I replace #23 fuse it keep blow the fuse. Sometime it doesn's and it works for a while then it blows the fuse again and then my climate control panetl light go out and no heater, no rear defogger, no high beam. These all work off the same fuse. How do I isolate the short?

I'm sorry...........perhaps you did not post the correct Fuse Number or my Factory Service Manual is wrong.......
There are "5" Fuses for the Automatic Climate Control
Fuses 8, 20, 22, 28 & 31
All located in the Inside Fuse Panel
Fuse "22" is direct Voltage + to the Blower Motor
IF Fuse "22" is the correct Fuse (not fuse 23) then it is likely the Blower Motor, as there is NO other component connected to Fuse "22", unless someone has spliced into Fuse "22" or Aftermarket Equipment has been installed

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Whether it's fuse 23 or 22, I feel I didn't get my answer to how to isolate the short, which is blowing the fuse. I rate this service low.

Of course it matters what Fuse you are looking at
There is NO "isolation", as Fuse "22" IS the Fuse for the Blower Motor, so the Blower Motor causes the Fuse to blow, unless you have something else connected to Fuse "22"
IF you do not understand Electronics & what causes the Fuse to blow, please ask, instead of sluffing it off to a bad rating.
I answered truthfully & to the point.
IF there is NOTHING else connected to Fuse "22", except the Blower Motor (which according to Factory Service Manual there isn't), then the Blower Motor is causing the dead short that blows the Fuse.
Not unusual & Blower Motors can do that, once the armature or bearings get worn to make the Blower Motor short out at times...........

.\
I am here to help, not to cause you issues with my answer.........
This is why I asked questions concerning the Fuse you posted.
As stated above, there are "5" Fuses & only "1" powers the Blower Motor & nothing else, so the Fuse "22" is already isolated & the only other issue is the wire from the Fuse to the Blower Motor may be chaffed & shorting as you drive, but I have never seen that happen, as the wire is inside a bunch of other wires

my bad, it was fuse 20, Acc, rear defogger, hi beam that keeps blowing.