Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 1999 Saab 93 convertible with a standard

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1999 Saab 93 convertible with a standard transmission . I only had one key and it's been lost or stollen. I was told by the person that sold me the car that the previous owner had lost his key and that it was very expensive to rectify. I found a web site n line that sells parts for Saab and they have several options listed for replacement keys. Not knowing which one would be best I called to ask and was told that I can only get it fixed by bringing the car in for service. C an anyone tell me why I need to bring Hi the car in and if I do if a bill of sale from the previous owner and the insurance records showing I have been paying the bill will be enough to prove I'm the owner because I have never registered it as I bought it from a junk yard and have been restoring it so it has no reg also I'm wondering just how much it is going to cost me And why I can't buy the parts they are selling on line.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

The key has to be programmed to the vehicle using a diagnostic scan tool. Call around to your local locksmiths and see if any have the scan tool and software to do so. Most do today. If they do, you can buy a key online, but it MUST be a new key never programmed, as you can only program it to one vehicle. They usually charge about $60 to come out to your place and program it

If no locksmith can do this, then you are at the mercy of your dealer. While you can buy a key online, dealers dont have to offer to program it for you. They can require you purchase the key for them as they dont have to install or mess with customer supplied parts, even a key. It is their choice on whether they will require you purchase the key from them or not as to whether they will provide the programming service to you. Either way, the vehicle has to be present to have the key programmed to it.

Typical cost will be around $350 for the key and the programming from the dealer. And yes, the bill of sale will be sufficient for proof of ownership

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?